Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-20-2013, 09:57 PM   #1 
LillieCharlotte

White raised scales = fungus???

Hello! I got a new fish two days ago, and he had what looked like a little white spot on him (they discounted him since he was sick) the three scales affected are slightly raised. is this fungus? i've never encountered fungus before on a fish and i'm not exactly sure how "cottony" it looks...it kind of looks like the corroded stuff you find on old pennies.

Anyway, other than that spot he seems to be fine. he's casually wandering around doing fish stuff, doesn't look to be super stressed and he ate some pellets today (hikari betta bio gold). I tried feeding him a freeze dried bloodworm before that but he flared at it menacingly until i took it out.

Here's a picture I took of him just after I brought him home

I put some aquarium salt in his tank but am unsure of what to do next. Here's a picture of him from today - pretty much the same condition

His current tank specs:
2.5 gal
API water conditioner
78 degrees F
Hydor 7.5W heater
aquarium salt 1 tsp/gal
no filter

I have Jungle Fungus Clear tabs...should I use them? Also, how does the dosing work for smaller tanks? (most of the meds only specify for 10 gal) Should i attempt to cut the tabs? or dissolve the whole thing and measure it out as a liquid?
LillieCharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:01 PM   #2 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Hmm, is there anything in the tank he could have cut himself on? Seems like he may have scraped himself and there is now a problem going on there.
How long has that been there, and how long have you been doing the aquarium salt?
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:07 PM   #3 
LillieCharlotte

I just put him in the 2.5 tank with the salt yesterday. He had this spot on him at when I saw him at the store in his cup, so i'm not sure what could have caused it (I got him two days ago from Petco)
Old 03-20-2013, 11:47 PM   #4 
Sakura8

Hi LillieCharlotte and welcome to the forum.

From what I can see in the picture, it's possible your guy has lymphocystis. If you google pics of it, you might be able to see if the pics are similar to what your guy has.

Lymphocystis is a virus and cannot be treated. However, it is usually nonfatal and will clear up on its own within a few months. During this time, he may develop more cauliflower-like growths but as long as the growths don't interfere with his eating or breathing, he'll be okay. It's important to keep the water clean though because if one of the cysts happens to break, it could become infected.

If it doesn't look like the lympho lumps you see in the pics, then it's possible it's an injury that he may have gotten during the shipping process. For now, I'd recommend sticking with the AQ salt for at least a few more days just in case.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:10 AM   #5 
LillieCharlotte

I googled pics and they looked pretty severe T_T I don't think that's what he has though...he's not swollen or anything, just the affected scales don't lay completely flat, and look like they were dipped in white paint.

I was worried that leaving him in clean water w/ salt wouldn't be enough and it would progress to something more serious, but if there's no harm in letting him be for the moment, I guess I'll just keep an eye on him and see what happens.

Thanks for the info, I hope he makes a full recovery because he has a lot more personality than other fish i've had <3 I debated between him and a pristine, perfectly healthy orange/blue delta for a loooong time lol.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:31 AM   #6 
Sakura8

Sometimes overmedicating can be just as harmful as not medicating. In this case, I think the salt and clean water will be enough while we watch and see if anything else progresses. He's eating and flaring so he seems healthy otherwise. That's good news.

If it's an injury, it will heal on its own. It could be a bruise of some sort; shipping can be pretty rough on these guys. I'm glad he found a good home. :)
Old 04-01-2013, 12:34 AM   #7 
LillieCharlotte

Well, it's been more than 10 days and the spot looks exactly the same. Should I stop adding salt to his tank? Should I add something else? His behavior and appetite are still normal. I'm not sure if it's my imagination but his head might be a bit pale (I'm trying to upload a photo but my phone doesn't seem to work right now) Since I've had him, I've been changing his water every other day (or sometimes every 2 days)
Old 04-01-2013, 12:47 AM   #8 
Sakura8

Is he acting normally and eating? If so, then I'd stop with the salt and take a wait and watch approach.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:46 AM   #9 
LillieCharlotte

Yes, he's still active and responsive. He was a somewhat picky eater at first but now he eats everything. I had to start feeding his pellets one by one because he's been scarfing down two at a time without chewing them -.-
Old 04-01-2013, 02:09 AM   #10 
Sakura8

Haha. Okay, well, sounds like he's doing well so if you're okay with the idea, I'd just watch that spot and see if it develops into anything. Too much AQ salt could possibly damage his internal organs and without possibly doing a tissue test or without him showing more symptoms, I can't make a good enough diagnosis to recommend any antibiotic or other med.

If there is any possible product I'd recommend (and with some reluctance) it would be Betta Fix because it is effective for topical infections. But I'm not a big fan of Betta Fix because of it's potential to harm the labyrinth organ that a betta uses to breathe surface air with. If you do decide to use Betta Fix (or any of the so-called "fixes" on the market), be extra careful to not overdose. Err on the side of caution, if anything.

If you decide not to use Betta Fix, then one thing you may try is putting some Indian Almond leaf in the tank to create tannins. The tannins have antimicrobial properties so besides creating the kind of water that bettas naturally come from, the tannins may help prevent any further serious infection.