Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-21-2013, 05:58 AM   #11 
Juditko

+1 to the question on the mod/super mods. I will say, as a new member for the last four months, that the former designations have helped me rate/act on the advice I've received. I still wouldn't mind having a "senior member" designation, though I'm sure you're responding to the bigger picture, and the solution has already been well thought out and discussed among you mods... As long as we still have OFL and Callistra and others like them, I'm good!

In regards to people saying/being superior, it happens in any forum. As a new member, I have seen it here only rarely (bad though it is when it is.) If you stick with the forum, you can clearly see it's not the norm. If the join date still shows, it will become the new way people judge all this. (By the way, I am for it still showing, but I'm just saying...people who are looking to act that way will still find a way.)

You all have established a wonderful forum and resource here, and it is appreciated. +1 for trusting your judgment on what needs to be done with this. Thanks for all you do for us "fry", you mods, super mods, senior members, regular members, or now, just members and super mods!
Juditko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:46 AM   #12 
royal

+1 to everything on this thread! I think that this is a really good idea! Okay well I'm done now.
royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:58 AM   #13 
NeptunesMom

I agree that hierarchies can create animosity and bad feelings, but I am wondering if you will include a new way for posters to judge the value of the opinion being offered. I know judgements of accuracy is a problem on many sites, but I will agree I did like being able to look at the status and the join date to compare opinions. However, I also acknowledge that is really a misguided way to determine the value of that opinion. I wish there was a way to know people's strengths easily. If there are a lot of response posts, it does help, but there are times people post an emergency and are only able to read a few response posts before taking their action.

I do want to say thank you to the moderators for keeping such a great site in check. I have been on other forums I have left because of the way the "superiors" treat people, especially kids. This forum doesn't care about age, but about knowledge. I am almost 30, and I will gladly listen to anyone, any age, who knows what they are doing... because I usually have no clue.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:11 AM   #14 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Not that I'm complaining or anything, but the status thing has helped me out quite a bit- If I had trusted advice from a "member" as opposed to a "bronze member" my fish may have died. +1 about the mods- you guys do a awesome job. I still do welcome this change as I believe that the benefits should outweigh the drawbacks. I have noticed a few changes already, such as this, ofl leaving, and the administrator stepping down.

Last edited by MattsBettas; 03-21-2013 at 08:30 AM.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:33 AM   #15 
Laki

True, I don't care about the status' but NOW I want to know what other changes are occurring!! You said "the first of several" or something. NEED TO KNOW.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:33 AM   #16 
Fishy Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
Dangnabbit, I liked being bronze. :p I've no problem with it - I agree that it makes people all hierarchical, and most of us are still learning all the time, regardless of status.

One thing I would love to know - what is the difference between a mod and a super mod? Are normal mods not going to exist now - are you all super? (I mean, we know you are ;), but what's the technical difference?)
It's like being in a big betta sorority tank.

People here have been unbelievably kind & helpful. It makes the forum very welcoming & it's nice to have other people to share my hobby with. The team that runs this forum & all who post here get two thumbs up from me.
Fishy Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:04 AM   #17 
JBonez423

I do think it's a good idea. I don't know if this would be too complicated, but could you take a group of members who have proven themselves to be knowledgeable and label them a certain way? And then if it goes to their head and they abuse their power, you could take it away.

I ask because newbies like myself might not know who to trust. There is a lot of false information out there, and it would help to have a clear sign of who you could ask directly, in the event you need a quick answer or your post goes unanswered and whatnot.
JBonez423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:00 AM   #18 
dramaqueen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by caissacrowntails View Post
just joined : egg, less than 2 months : fry, 2 months to 6 months : youngster, 6 month to 1 year : adult, 1 year to 2 years : parent, 2 years to 3 years : grandparent. Over 3 years : er...DeadBetta? LOL
Lol. I like that idea!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:02 AM   #19 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

There has been discussion about a designation for members proven knowledgable, but we need to consider this more first. Posting more isn't always more knowledge (the first thing we changed to help this was not putting posts in the lounge towards post count.)
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:15 AM   #20 
JBonez423

Not necessarily who posts the most (there are some people on here who post a loooot but have proven they don't know much), just well known, trusted members. I know that wouldn't be a right away thing lol, just an idea for the future. If it helps, you could poll the community to see who we all believe are the most helpful members, and go from there.
JBonez423 is offline   Reply With Quote