Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-21-2013, 11:15 AM   #21 
caissacrowntails

just a suggestion...maybe..each super mod "hold/handle" certain "topic"? I mean for example..Olympia handle anything related to "care", DramaQueen "breeding and showing" ( just example, in reality probably "wide" topic can be handle by 2 super mods or more, and this doesn't mean that any question in that topic must be answered by the supermods in charge, but rather.."supervised" the answer, to avoid false info?
caissacrowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:35 AM   #22 
Stone

I agree with this, I have seen good and bad info from all levels of members, people will tend to trust a "senior" members advise even though it could be wrong or misleading. even with that being said there is usually more than one way to solve a problem so even if people are not agreeing does not mean anyone is wrong or right could go either way.
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:35 AM   #23 
Skyewillow

Why did OFL leave? She was the only person who actually helped me when one of my fish was sick!

I don't think there should be any listing of member status, not "egg, fry, etc" either, because it IS based on post count, and it's already been said that post count doesn't equal knowledgeable. (which is VERY true). I guess we'll all just have to figure out who we should take advice from, and who to tune out.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:36 AM   #24 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBonez423 View Post
I do think it's a good idea. I don't know if this would be too complicated, but could you take a group of members who have proven themselves to be knowledgeable and label them a certain way? And then if it goes to their head and they abuse their power, you could take it away.

I ask because newbies like myself might not know who to trust. There is a lot of false information out there, and it would help to have a clear sign of who you could ask directly, in the event you need a quick answer or your post goes unanswered and whatnot.
+1 to that. After being on here for almost a year as a member, and snooping around as an interested enthusiast for almost about 6 months before becoming a member, I have picked out a few people who's advice I would always follow. There are forums, I have seen, where members can identify people who are helpful and single them out as knowledgeable by clicking links that identify them as helpful. That of course, could be misused, but at the same time would be nice to have a "40 people view this member as helpful in betta fish care, 30 people view this member as helpful in betta fish emergencies as diseases."
ETA: I don't think a method like this would cause as much problems, because if someone begins to act "superior" others will stop supporting them as helpful. If you put it on the members to help others determine who to trust, but with guidance from the moderators who obviously are gatekeepers for everything, people would have to be accountable to everyone, and to the information they share with others.

Last edited by NeptunesMom; 03-21-2013 at 11:40 AM.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:38 AM   #25 
caissacrowntails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyewillow View Post
Why did OFL leave? She was the only person who actually helped me when one of my fish was sick!

I don't think there should be any listing of member status, not "egg, fry, etc" either, because it IS based on post count, and it's already been said that post count doesn't equal knowledgeable. (which is VERY true). I guess we'll all just have to figure out who we should take advice from, and who to tune out.
Skye, I was only joking about that..u see the end of it? dead betta! LOL
caissacrowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:39 AM   #26 
JBonez423

I don't like the idea of "just figuring out who to trust" if it comes at the expense of my fish's lives...
JBonez423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:42 AM   #27 
JBonez423

I mean, I know y'all are going for no one having hurt feelings here, but don't forget we're all here for the welfare and love of our fish. If someone was posting bad or false information, it would be awful for a newer person to have their fish die because they followed bad advice, you know?

I agree with the "this many people have found this user helpful". Maybe if there was a way to recommend a user or their posts or advice or something along those lines.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:44 AM   #28 
GhostFeather

It is hard to know who to trust,there are a few on here that you can trust without question.
When you are new,read,read,compare and read some more.
Soon you will begin to see a pattern develop.
Bill
GhostFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:46 AM   #29 
Skyewillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by caissacrowntails View Post
Skye, I was only joking about that..u see the end of it? dead betta! LOL
Yea, I did, but there are other forums I've been on that have used a "graduating" system like that.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:57 AM   #30 
JBonez423

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostFeather View Post
It is hard to know who to trust,there are a few on here that you can trust without question.
When you are new,read,read,compare and read some more.
Soon you will begin to see a pattern develop.
Bill
I definitely do, but then I'm also 23 and have a lot of experience with people in general. It's more or less the 10-15 or so crowd that I'm worried about.