Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-02-2008, 12:56 PM   #1 
flake

Plants for Betta

Hi,
Do you know if there are any plants which are not good for betta?
flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 03:27 PM   #2 
Texasguy

teardrop or money wart can cause bellie bloat if they eat something off it and happen to get some of it in there bellie. IMO the best plant for a betta tank is a low light plant because most people don't light there betta tanks. I use sunset hygrow. It's fast growing and needs little light to keep it alive. I have it in all my betta tanks and 90% of them are just room lite. By this I mean the room light or sunlight is all they have for light and it grows out the top of there tank every week. I trim all there tanks ever other week. In the lited tanks it grows almost at a inche to two inches everyday. I'm trimming the lighted tanks friday and will throw away a large 4quart freezer bag fill to the top with the trimming away every other week.
Texasguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 04:44 PM   #3 
cajunmomof4

Very interesting texasguy. I need this hygrow.... 8)
cajunmomof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 07:35 PM   #4 
okiemavis

Hornwort is ridiculously easy and it gets nice and tall for your betta to swim through.
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:05 PM   #5 
kritas

Although I wouldn't reccomend too much sunlight for any tank as it creates the right conditions for algae to grow, which hogs all the oxygen it needs to grow, leaving the betta suffocating for air. Are you currently experiencing any algae problems Texasguy, what with the sunlight as a light source?
kritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 11:27 PM   #6 
Mahoganywolf

If it helps, I have a plastic plant in my tank that looks identical to the hornwort that okiemavis mentioned and my betta loves it (even if it's fake).
Mahoganywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 12:15 PM   #7 
flake

What is sientific name for teardrop or money wart? I cannot find the pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasguy
teardrop or money wart can cause bellie bloat if they eat something off it and happen to get some of it in there bellie. IMO the best plant for a betta tank is a low light plant because most people don't light there betta tanks. I use sunset hygrow. It's fast growing and needs little light to keep it alive. I have it in all my betta tanks and 90% of them are just room lite. By this I mean the room light or sunlight is all they have for light and it grows out the top of there tank every week. I trim all there tanks ever other week. In the lited tanks it grows almost at a inche to two inches everyday. I'm trimming the lighted tanks friday and will throw away a large 4quart freezer bag fill to the top with the trimming away every other week.
flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 01:19 PM   #8 
Blaxicanlatino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasguy

Wait!!! moneywort can cause bellie bloat!!!??? why? how? Im having problems with my betta having a bloated stomch now!!! 8)
Blaxicanlatino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 08:11 AM   #9 
Texasguy

On the algea trouble in my tanks. No I don't have any trouble with it. I don't place the tanks in the sun. Just the sunlight coming into the room. If your cleaning the water in a betta tank like I do every week. There's no time for algea to grow. I never let the tanks go longer then 7 days before changing it. Some even get a 50% WC every 3 days. The sunset hygrow will grow with just the room light.
I have two big tanks that need trimming today. I could save it for you if you want it?
I had the same trouble with one of my beta's bellie also and turns out the moneywort was the main reason. He would eat the algea of it and get some of it and not a day later would have the same thing again. I removed it to another tank and that beta got it. So on and so on throw out 12 tanks. I then talked with a breder I deal with and have been getting beta's from for 10yrs and he told me it's the plant it produces toxican that causes bellie bloat. He's been breding and raising beta's for 30yrs and hasn't used it ever sents he discovered this in '74.
I'll get with you on the trimming throw PM. I'll also find the scince name for the money owrt and post it.
Texasguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 11:37 AM   #10 
okiemavis

The scientific name for moneywort is Bacopa monnieri. I *think* it's an herb of sorts, so it probably smells/tastes really good.
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote