Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-22-2013, 01:51 PM   #21 
sunlight

I am glad he doesn't have those symptoms lol. Is there any other symptoms?
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:54 PM   #22 
BettaLover223

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlight View Post
I am glad he doesn't have those symptoms lol. Is there any other symptoms?
No, he just runs into stuff occasionally but he ate last night thankfully
BettaLover223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:01 PM   #23 
bannlow2471

I have no experience with blind Bettas, but I do have some with blind animals in general, and as others have said, they are generally pretty good at adapting if things are kept consistent and their special needs taken into account. Would maybe some food like frozen blood worms or brine shrimp that presumably have a bit more "smell" be a good idea? Also, one thing I did during the week I was trying to integrate a pair of African Dwarf frogs into my Betta's 5 gallon tank was to dip a small Tupperware cup into his tank to isolate him briefly while I was trying to feed the frogs, just to make sure everyone got their fair share. Ultimately the frog experiment didn't work out and I had to rehome the frogs, but I'm wondering if that might be something that would work for your guy, if it wouldn't stress him out too badly. The way I did it was just to scoop him up and let him float in there - I didn't pull him out or anything. Then when it was time to release him I just tipped the cup on its side and he swam out. At least that way the food would be in a small confined area, not getting pushed around by any filter action, etc.

Again, I'll just disclaim - I'm a total newbie to this forum and to Betta keeping in general, having had my first Betta for only about five months now, and there may be a very good reason why this would not work or would be a bad idea that I, in my inexperience, am just not thinking of, but I would be interested to see what the more experienced folks would think of this plan.
bannlow2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:05 PM   #24 
BettaLover223

Quote:
Originally Posted by bannlow2471 View Post
I have no experience with blind Bettas, but I do have some with blind animals in general, and as others have said, they are generally pretty good at adapting if things are kept consistent and their special needs taken into account. Would maybe some food like frozen blood worms or brine shrimp that presumably have a bit more "smell" be a good idea? Also, one thing I did during the week I was trying to integrate a pair of African Dwarf frogs into my Betta's 5 gallon tank was to dip a small Tupperware cup into his tank to isolate him briefly while I was trying to feed the frogs, just to make sure everyone got their fair share. Ultimately the frog experiment didn't work out and I had to rehome the frogs, but I'm wondering if that might be something that would work for your guy, if it wouldn't stress him out too badly. The way I did it was just to scoop him up and let him float in there - I didn't pull him out or anything. Then when it was time to release him I just tipped the cup on its side and he swam out. At least that way the food would be in a small confined area, not getting pushed around by any filter action, etc.

Again, I'll just disclaim - I'm a total newbie to this forum and to Betta keeping in general, having had my first Betta for only about five months now, and there may be a very good reason why this would not work or would be a bad idea that I, in my inexperience, am just not thinking of, but I would be interested to see what the more experienced folks would think of this plan.
That's an interesting idea I might do that. I only have pellets so that's what I'm gonna have to use
Old 03-22-2013, 02:20 PM   #25 
sunlight

I think pellets would be kind of difficult to feed if he is blind. bannlow has good idea about food. If you need flakes or brine shrimp, or freeze dried blood worms i can try to mail it to you if you absolutely can not get it:)
Also always remove uneaten food so it don't sink to the bottom and contaminate the water.
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:45 PM   #26 
BettaLover223

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlight View Post
I think pellets would be kind of difficult to feed if he is blind. bannlow has good idea about food. If you need flakes or brine shrimp, or freeze dried blood worms i can try to mail it to you if you absolutely can not get it:)
Also always remove uneaten food so it don't sink to the bottom and contaminate the water.
I don't know where to get it
Old 03-22-2013, 03:12 PM   #27 
bannlow2471

I found frozen blood worms and brine shrimp at my local Petco. They have a freezer over in the aquatics section. I would suggest from my experience that you take a knife and try to shave off just a little bit of the frozen cube (they come in little plastic/foil packages and you pop the cube out of the foil like you do those sleeves of gum) and then put the cube back in the freezer. The reason being it isn't safe to thaw them out and then refreeze them, and the entire cube is WAY too much for a single fish. Even a half cube was way too much and I was having to skim it out - not good for the tank, and so wasteful as well. Just shaving a bit off and then sticking the frozen cube back in the freezer seems to be working better for my situation (with a single Betta). I hope this helps and that it gets your little guy to eat! Fingers crossed!
bannlow2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:17 PM   #28 
BettaLover223

Quote:
Originally Posted by bannlow2471 View Post
I found frozen blood worms and brine shrimp at my local Petco. They have a freezer over in the aquatics section. I would suggest from my experience that you take a knife and try to shave off just a little bit of the frozen cube (they come in little plastic/foil packages and you pop the cube out of the foil like you do those sleeves of gum) and then put the cube back in the freezer. The reason being it isn't safe to thaw them out and then refreeze them, and the entire cube is WAY too much for a single fish. Even a half cube was way too much and I was having to skim it out - not good for the tank, and so wasteful as well. Just shaving a bit off and then sticking the frozen cube back in the freezer seems to be working better for my situation (with a single Betta). I hope this helps and that it gets your little guy to eat! Fingers crossed!
I will try and see how much it is and then get some and hopefully try this
Old 03-23-2013, 09:11 AM   #29 
JBonez423

This thread might help you! http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=124608 If anything, you could message AyalaCookieJar (the author of the thread I just posted) and ask her for advice! Above all, don't worry all that much. It will take him time to adjust, he just needs to figure out how to rely on his other senses.
JBonez423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:44 AM   #30 
AyalaCookiejar

My blind guy needs my assistance with finding food no matter how smelly it is. I also like to move stuff around to keep him stimulated because he became more lethargic after going blind. Bloodworms are easiest to feed. I soak them in VitaChem to give them a little more nutrition. When they are wet, I hang them on the end of something (I've used a wooden skewer) and get the end of them to touch his mouth. I've also gotten pellets wet and stuck them onto the end of the skewer, but I'd be careful with that because Bahari latched onto the end of the skewer once. It didn't harm him but it scared the heck outta me.

He is also less active so he bloats if I give him too much food, so I often supplement the small amount of food he gets by soaking it in VitaChem. But he's adapted, learned to not run face first into things, and he reacts to vibration and water movement. I try to do that a lot to get him moving and exercising. But he's been blind for about, 3 and a half months? I'd say he's actually been slowly improving over that time (not sight wise, but he seems happier).
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta help blind