Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-27-2013, 07:08 PM   #11 
Sakura8

I think if you do like a 50% change in the 3gal, the change in pH would be minimal and the adjustment gradual. The pH fluctuates a little in the wild too. It's just really drastic and rapid ups and downs that can be hard on the little bodies. But if you want to upgrade him to a larger tank, by all means, go for it. I'm sure he'd appreciate that too.

Hopefully his fins will grow back. Look for clear growth at the tips.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:49 AM   #12 
Starfish1

Ok sounds good.. thanks for all your help :)
Starfish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:19 PM   #13 
Starfish1

Ok so my liquid test kits finally got here in the mail and the results are completely different than the test strips:

GH 3
KH 3
ph 7.8 (water in crowntail's tank with stress coat added)
my tap water ph is 7.4

so it looks like my water is soft enough but my ph is too high. I know it's bad to go messing around with ph so I don't want to do that, but I ordered the indian almond leaves which haven't arrived yet. If I move my crowntail to a 7 gallon and use almond leaves in the new 7 gallon and my 10 gallon, should that take care of the problem? From what I understand the change the leaves make to the water is very gradual?
Old 04-12-2013, 09:29 PM   #14 
Sakura8

That should help, yes. You're right, IAL doesn't just dramatically lower the pH as soon as you plop a leaf in so it's a safe way to stabilize the pH. It may not lower it a whole lot but the tannins themselves will be immensely beneficial.

What kind of decor and gravel/sand do you have? Sometimes those can bump up a pH too.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:13 PM   #15 
Starfish1

Ok thanks!

Just plastic plants, and a very small bit of gravel. I was just posting on another thread about wanting to do a planted tank with sand. Should I stick with gravel instead since my ph is naturally a little high? I really wanted to try the sand but I don't want to make it worse...
Old 04-12-2013, 11:18 PM   #16 
Sakura8

No, as long as you don't get sand that is specifically labeled for cichlid tanks or marine tanks, you'll be fine. In fact, your best and cheapest sand bet is play sand at Home Depot.

EDIT: A thought but if you do a very heavily planted tank and don't use CO2, that can also lower your pH. The trick is not having it lower it rapidly.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:32 PM   #17 
Starfish1

Okay, I can do a heavily plated tank! I could start out with a few plants and then add more as I go along so the ph doesn't lower too quickly. Maybe that in addition to the IAL will do the trick..

I had no idea there was a specific sand for freshwater so thanks! lol.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:46 AM   #18 
Sakura8

Yeah. African cichlids and saltwater fish require insanely high pH levels and hardness levels so there are sands and gravels available that are made of crushed coral and aragonite, which raise those levels. But they're always specifically labeled so if you see a sand you like and it doesn't say "for cichlids" or "marine" then you're most likely just fine. :)

EDIT: Like this:

Old 04-13-2013, 01:32 AM   #19 
Starfish1

Oh neat!!! Okay I'm glad you told me about that because I probably would've seen something just like that and though Hey, this looks great. Lol.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:18 AM   #20 
Sakura8

Haha, and then you probably would have looked at the price and gone