Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-23-2013, 04:06 PM   #1 
HMBbetta

Check my shopping list? :) First tank....

Hi-
Total newbie here, I've never had fish before. I'm trying to do all my research ahead of time, and do one big order from Amazon. Will you check my list to see if I missed anything? Also, let me know if you think I should get something different than what I have listed.

5g Chi Kit and lid
Aqueon Pro Heater 50 watt
API Freshwater Master Kit
Thermometer
Dr. Tims One and Only
Dr Tim's Ammonia
Fluval Edge Gravel Cleaner---do I need to buy a hose for this?
Betta Leaf Hammock

Haven't decided on decor yet. I'd like to see if there are some low light plants that I could put in the Chi. Maybe something that doesn't need special dirt. Also- the box says it comes with gravel- does anyone know if I need more/different gravel than that?

Thanks in advance! :)
HMBbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:20 PM   #2 
HMBbetta

OK- I realized I forgot FOOD!
I see you guys like New Life Spectrum Formula and Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets. Is offering these 2 fine, or do they need even more variety? Can you feed them anything from the kitchen? I also have some freeze dried shrimp and blood worms that I have for my hermit crabs. Can the betta have the same ones?

Also water conditioner: API with stresscoat? Is that a good one? Do they NEED the stresscoat in their conditioner? Do most people use a conditioner that has it?
Old 03-23-2013, 04:26 PM   #3 
AkaRyu

It looks good :) I believe the gravel cleaner comes with a hose but I havent purchased that specific one before.

I'm not sure about how much gravel comes with the chi, but in my experience the kits dont have as much gravel as I'd like.

Don't feed them any real people food, they cant digest it very well and could cause them to bloat. Either of those two pellets are good, and I think the freeze dried worms and shrimp will work (though they should be for treats and not a meal staple)

The water conditioner of choice on here is Prime, someone else would have to answer the API with stresscoat question
AkaRyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:41 PM   #4 
LittleBlueFishlets

API Stress Coat contains aloe. Some people like it, as the aloe is soothing and can promote healing. However, it's not a necessity.

Other people prefer Prime, as it temporarily neutralizes ammonia. IMO, that's not a necessity, either.

You do need a water conditioner that removes/neutralizes chlorine, chlorinamines and heavy metals.

IMO, the other stuff is not truly a necessity, whether it's aloe (Stress Coat) or temporary neutralization of ammonia (Prime), but a lot of people here DO use them, and have had good results with them.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:01 PM   #5 
Bombalurina

I keep both - Prime is my go-to because it is so very cost-effective (10x more concentrated than StressCoat), but I use StressCoat whenever there has been an injury or fin-nipping. I use them both together in that situation. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:03 PM   #6 
LittleBlueFishlets

Bombalurina - good points.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:57 AM   #7 
HMBbetta

Thanks guys! Also, if possible, can you recommend a gravel vacuum that has a bulb stater, but isn't too big for a 5 g?
And what types of hides/caves are good for betta? Is the cave instead of the heavily planted tank or in addition?
Old 03-24-2013, 10:31 AM   #8 
Friendlyfishies

& I recommend adding Aquarium salt for you medical kit, turkey baster and a little collection of measuring spoons (tsp, tbsp et)...Aquarium salt at the pet store and turkey baster and measuring spoons can be found cheap at the dollar store :)
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:35 AM   #9 
Tabbie82

I use this vacuum on my tanks (I have a 3 gal, five 5 gals, and a 10 gal):
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo

I don't remember if I bought the small or medium. I think it was the medium. It works great and I've been using it for over a year.
Tabbie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:06 AM   #10 
HMBbetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendlyfishies View Post
& I recommend adding Aquarium salt for you medical kit, turkey baster and a little collection of measuring spoons (tsp, tbsp et)...Aquarium salt at the pet store and turkey baster and measuring spoons can be found cheap at the dollar store :)
Is aquarium salt the same as Instant Ocean? I already keep IO for my hermit crabs. Do I need both?