Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-21-2013, 06:04 AM   #1 
bettathanyou

Betta Hikari Betta Bio-Gold (New Perfectly Sized Pellet)

I'm feeding my Betta Hikari Betta Bio-Gold. On the pack it says 'New Perfectly Sized Pellet'. They're absolutely tiny and on the back it says 'Feed 5 to 10 pellets up to 3 times daily' but I've read online to only feed them about 4-5 per day, what should I do?

On Hikari's USA website it says 'For a 1.5″ betta, feed 5-10 pellets of Betta Bio-Gold (New Perfectly Sized Pellet) in the morning and 5-10 pellets at night.'

Any ideas?
bettathanyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:40 AM   #2 
royal

Well I feed mine 2 in the morning, and 4 at night. That's just me though. It's pretty much personal preference.
royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:29 AM   #3 
Meeples

I haven't seen this new "perfectly sized pellet" type... I am using the old type, and I feed 4-5 per day for my male, 2-3 for my female, 1-2 for my young male. I tend to split up the feedings but sometimes I do it all at once if I'm not sure I'll be able to do two feedings. If the pellets are super tiny then you should probably do more.. but 10 pellets twice a day just sounds like a lot to me!
Meeples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:03 AM   #4 
bettathanyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeples View Post
I haven't seen this new "perfectly sized pellet" type... I am using the old type, and I feed 4-5 per day for my male, 2-3 for my female, 1-2 for my young male. I tend to split up the feedings but sometimes I do it all at once if I'm not sure I'll be able to do two feedings. If the pellets are super tiny then you should probably do more.. but 10 pellets twice a day just sounds like a lot to me!
How big are the pellets you use? These 'perfectly sized pellets' are about the size of a poppy seed - they're tiny!
Old 03-21-2013, 10:10 AM   #5 
JBonez423

This is awesome, I have to buy them now! =D

I feed my guys as much as they eat, because they don't overeat. If they're half the size of regular pellets, I would say feed them no more than 6 or 8 in a feeding. You could do 4 or 5 pellets 3 or 4 times a day, too! You could also get a moss ball for them to "graze" on during the day, so their digestive tract works better if you can only do 2 feedings.
JBonez423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:50 AM   #6 
bettathanyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBonez423 View Post
This is awesome, I have to buy them now! =D

I feed my guys as much as they eat, because they don't overeat. If they're half the size of regular pellets, I would say feed them no more than 6 or 8 in a feeding. You could do 4 or 5 pellets 3 or 4 times a day, too! You could also get a moss ball for them to "graze" on during the day, so their digestive tract works better if you can only do 2 feedings.
I bought them off ebay and until searching about how much you should feed bettas on google I didn't know what I had was different!

I fed him 7 this morning and I was thinking maybe 4 or 5 this evening. On the pack it says 5-10 up to 3 times a day but that sounds loads to me although they are really small.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:54 AM   #7 
JBonez423

I always prefer to give any animal a few smaller meals scattered throughout the day than one big meal. I try to best mimic their eating behavior in the wild. If I had those, I would probably do 5 or 6 pellets 4 times a day, but that's just me lol.
JBonez423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:52 PM   #8 
Otterfun

I think in this case size DOES NOT matter. LOL
I do not believe the ingredients of the HBG is as good as NLS and OO. Unless this is a new formula.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:58 PM   #9 
ao
TFK Moderator

I used the .5mm pellets from NLS. and if you know metrics you will know that it's TINY.

I take pinch and feed my fish morning and night. I'm probably overfeeding, but with nice warm water, the fish digests pretty quickly. I do admit he may need a diet really soon.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:50 PM   #10 
bettathanyou

I've decided that I'm going to feed him 4 in the morning, 4 in the evening, and then 4 at random times in between when he's not expecting food. :)