Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-21-2013, 12:50 PM   #1 
SamJustice

5-10 Gal Recommendations Wanted.

So, After my ten gallon cycles and is stocked and going good, I'm going to put my Raph back in there and get a five gallon for my sister's boy.
He might be my lil sisters, but if I'm the one takin care of him, I want him in something better than a 2.5 gal.
Now, he sits on my bedside table, it's rather large, but not big enough for a ten gallon, so I'm looking for something between there and 5 gallons.
I currently have both of my 2.5's sitting side by side on it. Can't wait til the ten gallon's back in shape and ready for other fishies and Raph. Still haven't decided what to put in there just yet with him, but it's got a few weeks of cycling, so that gives me a bit of time before it's ready.

But. Back on topic. Sorry. I'm a rambler.

The tank will be planted, but where it's at, while not in direct sunlight, isn't exactly protected from outside light either, so I don't think LEDs will have a negative effect on the tank.

I like the look of the Fluval Edge, but that's WAY out of my budget. Are there any similar that are cheaper?
I also like the Fluval Chi, but I've heard some bad things about it. Do any of you have one?
I've heard great things of the Mini Bow 5, but I really wanted something a little fancier looking, but with great quality.
I'm a deep hardcore lover of Marineland and it's Bio-wheel filter. And the only one I could find at the bigger chains in the hexagon 5 gallon.
I haven't checked at my favorite LFS because that requires a trip out there, and it's about a 20 minute drive. And they're the only one within that radius that actually knows what they're doing. That's where I got the new guy from. And he's so healthy it astounds me still. I've had him for a week now, and his only issues was a bit of tail-biting which was resolved by putting a folder between the two tanks so he couldn't see Raph.
Top Fin also has a 5.5 gal, but it's just a plain regular aquarium, and I really do want something appealing to the eye.
SamJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:53 PM   #2 
Crowntails

The Fluval Spec V is very sleek and is 5 gallons. It's on sale at Petco for $63.99, which is a steal! It's usually $89.99!
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:59 PM   #3 
Fishybitty

What about http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo, I want this one but I can't afford it at the moment.

This is also a nice one, kind of similar to the Marineland but more affordable
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-5-...-Pets/14660258

I almost purchased this one, but I went with a regular plain jane one http://www.walmart.com/ip/Aquarius-G...-Pets/20699340 you wouldn't be able to put a bunch of plants, but it is pretty neat.

Last edited by Fishybitty; 03-21-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Fishybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:59 PM   #4 
waterdog

I love my marineland hex 5. For something a little fancier they make a new one called the cresent 5 that is pretty slick.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:20 PM   #5 
DefStatic

Can't go wrong with an Evolve 4, which most Petco's have on clearance for $30 to $40 right now.

Get whatever is the best you can afford that will offer him the most space.
DefStatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:37 PM   #6 
SamJustice

I don't much care for tetra filters, so if I get marineland, I'm getting something with the biowheel, lol.
Fishy, the marineland's price is fine for me, especially if my LFS has it, as they're a good $10-$30 cheaper there.
I won't get any of walmart's tanks. One, I got kicked out of their store for disorderly conduct because I flipped out on the guy in charge of fish for putting a betta in with African cichlids. Thankfully, I fished him out before any harm came to him, but I verbally laid into the fish boy. Can't step foot on any walmart property for 2 years. |-= Stupid walmart.

However, a lot of their tanks can be found else where. And I so need to go check Kmart. Forgot that they carry tanks, too. Lol.

Oh. The Fluval Spec V and Evolve 4 look great. If I got the evolve, I'd probably go 8 gallons.
How do the filters work on them though? o.0
SamJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:44 PM   #7 
tekkguy

My daughter recently got one of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is LED and not that bright, but I've been happy with it so far with some low-light plants. The biggest issue I had with it is that they shipped it with a HUGE HOB filter that is seriously too much for this little tank. I had a much smaller internal filter on hand that I swapped out for it.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:44 PM   #8 
Matilda

There's this one too.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-5-...-Pets/17480272
Matilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:47 PM   #9 
Crowntails

I heard that both the Specs and Evolves had a bit of harsh filters. But that can easily be fixed.
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:57 PM   #10 
Fishybitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamJustice View Post
I don't much care for tetra filters, so if I get marineland, I'm getting something with the biowheel, lol.
Fishy, the marineland's price is fine for me, especially if my LFS has it, as they're a good $10-$30 cheaper there.
I won't get any of walmart's tanks. One, I got kicked out of their store for disorderly conduct because I flipped out on the guy in charge of fish for putting a betta in with African cichlids. Thankfully, I fished him out before any harm came to him, but I verbally laid into the fish boy. Can't step foot on any walmart property for 2 years. |-= Stupid walmart.

However, a lot of their tanks can be found else where. And I so need to go check Kmart. Forgot that they carry tanks, too. Lol.

Oh. The Fluval Spec V and Evolve 4 look great. If I got the evolve, I'd probably go 8 gallons.
How do the filters work on them though? o.0

Okkk then lol, thought I'd suggest some.
Fishybitty is offline   Reply With Quote