Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-21-2013, 06:38 PM   #1 
Vier

Betta died, dropsy + ?

This happened pretty fast, I usually see my fishes swimming around, one night this boy was in one spot- looking ragged and not moving at all. Just breathing. I separated him into a betta cup then began changing out half of that water often using prime/IAL. He died day 2 of finding him like that.

Ive had fish with dropsy before and the confusing thing about him was that he is not bloated looking but has the pinecone scales. It looks more like his scales/skin was sloughing off, the long fins like his caudal with finrot? The smaller fins are fine. Very patchy, and loss of colour. So I'm wondering if there was another illness going on with him.

Dont have a recent normal photo of him unfortunately..

Heres one from last summer :( His fish (the top) was bloated looking as well, if you compare the normal photo but the body remained the same size except for the raised scales (eg not like this: http://www.petfish.net/articles/pix/arts3/dropsy.jpg )

Hes in a divided 2.5, heated to around 78-80, no filter but heavily planted. Occasional water changes but mostly top offs. Params the day after I found him sick were 0/0/0. Low kH, and pH around 6 to 6.5..I forget, but I keep IAL in the tank.

Last edited by Vier; 03-21-2013 at 06:41 PM.
Vier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:42 PM   #2 
rubinthebetta

Just asking, since he was in a divided tank, what did he share it with?

EDIT: there is a form that you can fill out that may help us help you. It's in a sticky in the Disease and Emergency category.
rubinthebetta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:43 PM   #3 
Hadoken Kitty

Check this out:

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=90086
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:46 PM   #4 
rubinthebetta

Here's the form.

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
rubinthebetta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:16 PM   #5 
Vier

What size is your tank? 2.5
What temperature is your tank? 78-80
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Other bettas, devided and I try to keep plants blocking the line of vision. ramhorns, mts

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta pellets, frozen foods, live worms, various fish foods
How often do you feed your betta fish? Every few days..sometimes everyday, sometimes every other 2-3 days

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? I mostly top off but sometimes 25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0
pH: 6.5
Hardness: 75
Alkalinity: 40-80

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance/behavior changed? This happened pretty fast, I usually see my fishes swimming around, one night this boy was in one spot- looking ragged and not moving at all. Just breathing. I separated him into a betta cup then began changing out half of that water often using prime/IAL. He died day 2 of finding him like that.

Ive had fish with dropsy before and the confusing thing about him was that he is not bloated looking but has the pinecone scales. It looks more like his scales/skin was sloughing off, the long fins like his caudal with finrot? The smaller fins are fine. Very patchy, and loss of colour. So I'm wondering if there was another illness going on with him.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 2 days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Separated into betta cup, floated on a warm tank to maintain temp, changed partially with clean water
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? Owned for less than a year..maybe...8 months?

Last edited by Vier; 03-21-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:21 PM   #6 
bettacrazygirl86

Is the whole tank 2.5 gallons, or just his part of the tank?
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:41 PM   #7 
Vier

whole tank
Old 03-21-2013, 07:59 PM   #8 
bettacrazygirl86

How many parts was it divided into?
Old 03-21-2013, 08:13 PM   #9 
Vier

two
Old 03-21-2013, 08:28 PM   #10 
bettacrazygirl86

2.5 gallons divided in half only gives each betta a little more than a gallon to swim in. I think the water changes might need to be more frequent for a tank that small. I would also do more than 25% each time you do a water change, and not just top if off like you said you do.

I've never tested my tanks, but I have each of my fish in a 3 gallon tank, heated. I do water changes twice a week. I set specific days to do the water changes and even put a reminder in my phone so I wouldn't forget. A tip, just in case you need help remembering like I do. :) I do 50% water changes on Mondays and 100% on Fridays. When I do the 100%, I cup them and take all the water out and scrub everything and soak everything in steaming hot water before putting the tank back together and acclimating my fish. When I do the 50%, I cup the fish and just take out about half of the water, then siphon out whatever debris I can find and add in more water, already conditioned. I acclimate the fish and release them back into the tank.

I would recommend doing more water changes, especially since it's a 2.5 divided with snails. Personally, I would get a bigger tank or get rid of the snails. I've been told not to add any tank mates in anything under 5 gallons because it would add too much to the bioload. I'm not sure what exactly might have the been the cause to your fish's death, but to prevent it from happening to the other fish and the snails, I'd relocate the snails and do more water changes. Especially now that the fish has passed, whatever sickness he had might have passed over to your other fish. 100% water change would be a good idea right now, if you haven't already done one. I hope I was able to help at least a little. D: Sorry for your loss.