Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-21-2013, 06:55 PM   #1 
Otterfun

Prime Vs Kordon AmQuel+

Hi all,

I use Prime, but came across Kordon which markets itself as an established brand. In particular, they made some interesting claims about Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate removal. Any thoughts on the fact that it will safely detox and reduce the need to have water changes?

Recap from link:
http://www.kordon.com/kordon/product...mpatabilities!

AmQuel Plus is a remarkable new discovery that is making fresh and saltwater aquarium and pond keeping much safer and simpler.

It is doing this by safely detoxifying natural nitrogen compounds in the water, including nitrites and nitrates. Thereby, the use of AmQuel Plus greatly reduces the need for continual water changes, and provides far better water conditions for fishes, aquatic invertebrates, and other life in fresh and salt water.

AmQuel Plus (also referred to as AmQuel +) has the ability to make the "nitrogen cycle"totally nontoxic in aquarium and pond keeping, without interfering with the cycle's process in any way, and without interfering with the beneficial bacteria that are involved with the cycle.

AmQuel Plus detoxifies all chlorine and chloramines added to the water by public water utilities and toxic nitrogen compounds that can appear in aquarium and pond water over time, thereby making water changes less necessary, and providing a safer environment for fishes and aquatic life.

AmQuel Plus reduces the problems with "new tank and pond syndrome," which in great part are caused by the nitrifying bacteria in the water.

AmQuel Plus makes biological filtration much safer by detoxifying its natural processes. AmQuel Plus does all this without having to be removed, once it is put into the water. It remains totally nontoxic to aquatic life.

AmQuel Plus should be used for setting up aquariums or ponds, for water changes, overcrowded aquariums and ponds, the control of toxic nitrogen compounds commonly found in water while the nitrogen cycle is established...as well as afterwards as nitrogen compounds accumulate in the aquarium and pond water.

Fresh water is a precious commodity and becoming in ever shorter supply. By using AmQuel Plus fewer water changes are needed in aquarium and pond keeping, thereby conserving a valuable resource. For marine aquarists AmQuel Plus greatly helps in decreasing the number of water changes needed, thereby saving on having to prepare sea salt mixes or natural sea water.

Another footnote on AmQuel:
AmQuel was the first product developed that removes toxic pheromones released by the fish in the water. Also this is done by AmQuel Plus. This is of considerable aid to the aquarist, because pheromones in the water build up in the water and can be harmful to fishes.

Last edited by Otterfun; 03-21-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:15 PM   #2 
ryancalif

Just pick one. :)

It's pretty much a matter of brand loyalty. Prime lovers will say Prime is the best. Kordon lovers will say Kordon is the best!

In the end, they all pretty much do what the bottle says it's going to do.

Last edited by ryancalif; 03-21-2013 at 07:18 PM.
ryancalif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:35 PM   #3 
SunshineSulie

Haha, I had no clue that Kordon was a good brand! I thought I was being super cheap by buying it on sale when I got my betta. Lol ol. Well, go me for using a decent type of conditioner! :)
SunshineSulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:33 PM   #4 
kyle89

Petco ruined kordon for me by selling me bad novaqua. I prefer prime.
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:21 PM   #5 
Blue Fish

Okay, not trying to hijack this thread by any means, but I didn't want to start another with a similar question. :)

So, I just got a bottle of prime yesterday...and I've got a couple of questions.
Is it supposed to *stink* like that?
And I'm going to be adding to new water for partial water changes, will there be any problem adding the new "prime" water to the existing water that has been treated with just a plain water treatment/slime coat additive?
Also, just one more, so you just use 1ml per gallon, am I reading this correctly?

Thanks for any help, and please don't think I'm hijacking your thread, I just had a similar question. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:25 PM   #6 
Tikibirds

I prefer Amquel plus over prime because

1) Prime REEKS like cat piss and will stink up my room for over 24 hours after opening the bottle
2) I have one betta that has a bad reaction to it. Everytime I use Prime - he turns to a grey color (from deep blue) amd has rapid gill movement/lethargic. Not sure what causes it but he may have an allergy to sulfer that is in prime and hence the stench.

Does it work as well as it claims? No idea. I use it as a water conditioner not as a replacement for water changes.

Some say it messed with the PH but I tested this and my PH never changed.

SO for me:

Amquel Plus: 1, Prime 0

Quote:
Yes because it is sulfer based.

I have been told by several people that its about 2 drops per gallon.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:43 PM   #7 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Fish View Post
Okay, not trying to hijack this thread by any means, but I didn't want to start another with a similar question. :)

So, I just got a bottle of prime yesterday...and I've got a couple of questions.
And I'm going to be adding to new water for partial water changes, will there be any problem adding the new "prime" water to the existing water that has been treated with just a plain water treatment/slime coat additive?
Also, just one more, so you just use 1ml per gallon, am I reading this correctly?

Thanks for any help, and please don't think I'm hijacking your thread, I just had a similar question. :)
No problem, 1ml sounds about right. 2-3 drops/gal using pipette.

I use Prime & Stress Coat + at 50/50 for my tank when I had Fred in it.

Last edited by Otterfun; 03-22-2013 at 12:02 AM.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:54 PM   #8 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Prime is 2 drops per gallon.
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:01 AM   #9 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseusmom View Post
Prime is 2 drops per gallon.
Oops, yes, you are correct, I read my notes for my 5g dosage.
Apologize for the bad info.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:21 AM   #10 
Tikibirds

Quote:
I use Prime & Stress Coat
For my smaller, non filters, I use stress coat and some amquel plus since I have ammonia in my tap water.

I wonder though, if one did use it as a replacement for water changes - if the buildup of whatever is in prime and amquel plus would cause harm to the fish. Too much sulfer cant be good and I know amquel plus has something about increasing airation so I wonder if it would damamge fish that dont have a labernth organ? Plus I have hard several people say prime only works for 24-48 hours and then you need to redose...thats alot of chemicals if one is not doing proper water changes...
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote