Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-21-2013, 09:54 PM   #1 
JJChocolate88

Conditioning My High Strung Female Betta to Male

Hi, first time breeder. I put my female betta in a jar a while ago and left her in the male tank for about 30-40 minutes and when I came back she had two dark lines running vertically across her body and I found out that meant she was stressed.

So, I gave her a break for a couple days, then put her in the male tank in a jar for about 5 minutes to condition her, she seemed to respond better to him, but was still banging the jar, which concerned me. today, i put female in jar in tank and observed. She didn't get stressed, but I am not certain whether they're liking each other or not.

The male flared a lot at her, sometimes she would just look at him and they'd press their faces against the glass and look at each other, other times she'd sink to the bottom of the jar and look up at him. Then other times she'd bang the jar.

no vertical stress lines showed up, but I'm really not certain how she feels about the male.

The male built a little bubble nest by the heater, but the nest was (to say the least) real flimsy and sad looking. It was only one layer and it was small and didn't seem suitable for putting fry in, so I'm wondering what is going on with these Betta.

Am I doing something wrong, am I not feeding them enough or should I add a light to tank?

Someone please assist me.
JJChocolate88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:09 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

What are you feeding?
How much are you feeding?
What is the temperature of the tanks?
How old are they?
Do they have experience?
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:29 PM   #3 
Myates

You are placing them in the breeding tank..

Question is, how have you conditioned the pair, prepared them? If they are not ready - especially the female - they won't do well together in the tank just yet.

Conditioning is anywhere from 3-14 days depending on how long it takes the female to become "eggy" - fed 3-5 times a day of live and/or frozen foods. Some people prefer to keep them from seeing one another (and any other betta) during that time, allowing visitations (in their own tanks/containers) for 5-10 minutes once a day. The rest of the time they are "carded" and not allowed to see another betta.
That generally gets the females revved up more and ready a bit easier/quicker.

Once the female has eggs in her that are ready to be laid, you can then place her in the container/chimney within the breeding tank for 8-24hrs and release her once she is showing interest in following him to the nest, and is submissive.. flaring and posturing in a fighting stance, as well as stress stripes means she is not ready.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:08 PM   #4 
JJChocolate88

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
What are you feeding?
How much are you feeding?
What is the temperature of the tanks?
How old are they?
Do they have experience?
I am feeding frozen brine shrimp and frozen blood worms twice a day. I am feeding them about 4-5 blood worms each feeding or 2-3 brine shrimp. They eat them all every time I put them in, so I'm not sure if I'm over-feeding or under-feeding. It seems like maybe I'm under feeding

The temperature of the male tank is a little below 80 degree according to thermometer, but it feels pretty cool to me. I'm wondering if there is something wrong with the thermometer. My male betta is hanging out by the heater a lot, so that tells me he's cold elsewhere.

my female betta is about 78 degree, she is more active and her tank feels a little warmer because it's smaller.

the female is about 3.5 months and the male is about 5 months.

neither fish has experience breeding.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:15 PM   #5 
JJChocolate88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
You are placing them in the breeding tank..

Question is, how have you conditioned the pair, prepared them? If they are not ready - especially the female - they won't do well together in the tank just yet.

Conditioning is anywhere from 3-14 days depending on how long it takes the female to become "eggy" - fed 3-5 times a day of live and/or frozen foods. Some people prefer to keep them from seeing one another (and any other betta) during that time, allowing visitations (in their own tanks/containers) for 5-10 minutes once a day. The rest of the time they are "carded" and not allowed to see another betta.
That generally gets the females revved up more and ready a bit easier/quicker.

Once the female has eggs in her that are ready to be laid, you can then place her in the container/chimney within the breeding tank for 8-24hrs and release her once she is showing interest in following him to the nest, and is submissive.. flaring and posturing in a fighting stance, as well as stress stripes means she is not ready.
thank you for the information.

i'm trying to condition them right now by putting the female in the jar occasionally. but i don't do it every day just yet because i feel like she's not ready. she didn't get the stress stripes when I put her in this time.

the female has never flared at the male, but the male flares at her a lot. she mostly just looks at him, bangs the side of the jar or lays on the bottom of the jar and looks up at him.

i am not sure what is going on with the male, his bubble nests are flimsy. my other male betta fish built sturdier bubble nests and he didn't even have a female around.

i'm thinking maybe i need to feed them more, get a fluorescent light and tank cover for the tank to warm it up even more and just slowly condition them.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:28 AM   #6 
Mahsfish

Vertical lines are good. It is horizontal that are stress lines
Mahsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:37 AM   #7 
Myates

Keep in mind, it's not the thermometer that is off, it's that you are placing a warm hand (97-100*F) into something cooler, so it will feel cold to you :)
But a cover is a good idea, as it will help keep the humidity in there which is healthy for adults and fry.

I would up the feeding, especially the girl.. feed 3-4 times per day.. place their tanks next to each other, but with a "card" between them - usually just a piece of paper.. and remove the "card" once a day to allow them to see one another for 5-10 minutes.

This way, no one is getting stressed from being moved around randomly, etc.. they are in their own space, get to see each other without being disturbed, etc.

I wouldn't worry about his bubble nests..he may make it better once he has eggs, etc.. or not. If you feel like it's not good enough, you can always place a small portion of bubblewrap in there for him to use as a nest anchor.. the trapped air under it will help give him more options and help sturdy the nest more.

The fish are a little young.. so it could go either way.. they can become eager to do it, but it could also cause it to take much longer to get them to breed. So just continue to condition them and once you see the female's belly nice and round (doesn't have to be huge), but nice and round between feedings.. then you know she is eggy. But up the feedings to at least 3, if not 4 times a day.. you want to stuff her (just don't over do it..).
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:38 AM   #8 
JJChocolate88

thank you i'll try putting them next to each other with the card and increase the feedings as well. sorry in my posts i meant to say horizontal lines, running across the body, not vertical. i feel like an idiot lol.