Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-22-2013, 09:37 AM   #11 
kyle89

Prime and stress coat plus. I too would also like to hear what they heard about prime. Petco has since ruined and kordon for me by selling bad novaqua
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:48 AM   #12 
happypappy

Prime, betta prime and really like the betta water condidioner that contai s aloe like stress coat, BUT also has tea extract
happypappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:28 AM   #13 
bannlow2471

I was using Tetra Aqua Betta Safe initially, and then about a month and a half ago I got some API Stresscoat when Murray jumped out of his dip cup during a water change. I was told it would help with any scale or fin damage from him landing on the carpet. I have no idea if it's better, but I've used it for my water changes/refills since then.
bannlow2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:55 AM   #14 
NeptunesMom

I use the cheap Top Fin stuff. My fish seem to be doing fine with it.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:08 AM   #15 
logisticsguy

Many municipal water supplies now started to add Chlorimine to the water to stabilize the chlorine. This disinfectant is formed by mixing chlorine with ammonia. Chloramine is a less effective disinfectant than chlorine, but it is longer lasting and stays in the water system as it moves through the pipes that transport it to your home. Chloramine is often used alongside chlorine as a “secondary” disinfectant designed to remain in your water longer. API water conditioner is a basic product and does nothing to kill the Chloromine. API Stress Coat and Prime cost more but work. Not all water conditioners are created equal and many aquarists have been finding out the hard way. Leaving water to age is a good way to get rid of chlorine but does nothing to the chloromine. You can find out if your water supply has started to add this to the water. You can find out more info on Chloromine here. Ive even started not to drink my local tap water because its a very powerful dissinfectant that I would rather not have in my body.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...hloramine.aspx
logisticsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:21 AM   #16 
Naladari

I use betta safe but add stress coat +
Naladari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:28 PM   #17 
Otterfun

Adults: Prime, Stress Coat+ at 50/50
Baby: AmQuel+
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:32 PM   #18 
DreamerHorse

I use BettaSafe and then when there's a torn fin, I add a little Stresscoat.
DreamerHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:36 PM   #19 
bannlow2471

Quote:
Originally Posted by logisticsguy View Post
Many municipal water supplies now started to add Chlorimine to the water to stabilize the chlorine. This disinfectant is formed by mixing chlorine with ammonia. Chloramine is a less effective disinfectant than chlorine, but it is longer lasting and stays in the water system as it moves through the pipes that transport it to your home. Chloramine is often used alongside chlorine as a “secondary” disinfectant designed to remain in your water longer. API water conditioner is a basic product and does nothing to kill the Chloromine. API Stress Coat and Prime cost more but work. Not all water conditioners are created equal and many aquarists have been finding out the hard way. Leaving water to age is a good way to get rid of chlorine but does nothing to the chloromine. You can find out if your water supply has started to add this to the water. You can find out more info on Chloromine here. Ive even started not to drink my local tap water because its a very powerful dissinfectant that I would rather not have in my body.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...hloramine.aspx
Very interesting! Thank you for this information! I started out using Betta Safe, and then recently (maybe two months ago?) started using the API Stresscoat. I will definitely continue using this and I will also be checking with my local utility company to see whether they add chloramine to the water supply. This concerns me for my dogs and cats as well.
bannlow2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:45 PM   #20 
smaughunter

I like Prime. I don't like stresscoat so much because I feel that unless there is some issue the fish doesn't need a "supplement" to it's natural slime coat. I've used Prime exclusively for about 8 years and never been disappointed.

I would also be interested in hearing if there have been known issues with it and what those issues were.

Last edited by smaughunter; 03-25-2013 at 03:04 PM.
smaughunter is offline   Reply With Quote