Housing
What size is your tank? 3 gal
What temperature is your tank? 78 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? snail

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? pellets 4 days a week frozen blood worms 1 day a week fasting days on sunday and thursday
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1-2 pellets in the morning and 1-2 pellets in the early afternoon (except for fasting days)

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? stress coat water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0.0
Nitrite: 0.0
Nitrate:35ppm
pH: always a steady 7.2
Hardness: 4.5
Alkalinity: 4.5

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? eyes and stomach became bloated after the weekly water change (after 5 hours)
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? swimming oddly (spazzing), then he lays on the bottom then he floats then he swims again
When did you start noticing the symptoms? I did his weekly water change as normal and then I sat and did homework for a while then went to my class and came back 3.5 hours later and he suddenly was all swollen (eyes, abdomen)! he was fine this morning!
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I removed the snail and the betta I put some aquarium salt in (let betta float in a cup so no change in temp) and after 30 min put the betta back in the tank. My local petstore is closed so i didn't really know what to do...
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? He has been in my possession since september aprox 7 months
KuriousArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:09 AM   #2 
KuriousArtist

As of this morning Coby is still alive, the swelling has gone down a bit but is there any way that I can help him?
KuriousArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:02 PM   #3 
Sakura8

Switch over to epsom salts, 1 tsp per gallon. Epsom salts are much more effective for internal issues. Good rule of thumb is aquarium salts for external like ich and wounds and fin rot, epsom salts for internal like bloat.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
belly, betta, emergency, eye, swollen