Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-03-2008, 05:02 PM   #1 
DelTASteve

New to fish, have some questions.

Alright, the people at the pet store have helped absolutely 0 up to this point. I received a Betta fish as a gift, and honestly was not prepared. I went to the pet store, bought a 2.5 gallon tank, a fake plant, a Chinese style pot for him to hide in, food, water conditioner, and a thermometer.

Now, I washed everything off with boiling water before I even put him in. I scrubbed it all off with a toothbrush as well, just to make sure (I was told not to use soap or chemicals because that could kill him). I conditioned some water, and dropped him in. For 3 days he was perfectly happy, and swam a lot. He still eats fine, and responds to stimulus (follows your finger along the tank), but he just sits there a lot now. He goes up to the top of the pot, and lays himself down on the lip of it. I know they are "laid back" fish, but could this be due to a lack of proper temperature (it is only about 70 degrees now). Also, the water has become cloudy, and I can see little clearish whiteish flakes in the water. I did a half water change, to no avail, there is less, but it is still cloudy (not sure what I was really expecting). Should I get a filter, or is this just something natural with a new tank?

I have read a few answers to most of the questions, but they either don't make sense, or just plain contradict one another, so I figured I would ask someone who is actually knowledgeable instead of the morons working at the pet store.

Thanks,
Steve

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I have glass beads on the bottom (fairly large).
DelTASteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:54 PM   #2 
okiemavis

Could you tell us your water parameters? That would really help a lot. Most LFS will test your water for free, but make sure to get the exact numbers, not just "it's fine".

In a tank that small you should really be changing the water 50% every other day. A filter would definitely help. Also, your betta needs a heater! The water should be at least 78 for him to stay happy and healthy.
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 07:08 PM   #3 
Flashygrrl

The cloudiness is ammonia buildup and the tank is probably trying to cycle. Even a sponge filter would help but you'd still need frequent water changes to keep the ammonia from killing the fish, they become less frequent when the tank is cycled and there's a filter installed. I'd prefer 25% changes once a day (less stressful and shock to the fish) but that's just me, and get a liquid testing kit. You also need a heater for the tank, those mini-ones do nicely for a 2.5 gallon(look for Hydor or Marineland).
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 07:18 PM   #4 
dougz

Have you changed out the water at all?

what are you using for a filter? Sponge filter?

What are your water readings? Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH?
dougz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 08:19 PM   #5 
Flashygrrl

As it was stated or hinted at, no he does not have a filter, and yes he changed water.
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 08:17 AM   #6 
dougz

Ahh..

Might want to get a sponge filter, then, Steve..

Or do they have HOB's for tanks that small?
Old 04-04-2008, 10:40 AM   #7 
DelTASteve

So, even if I get a filter, I will still need to change the water (100%) every 4 to 5 days? Is this due to the ammonium cycle, and since I am not running a bacterial colony, I just need to change it?

Thanks,

Steve
Old 04-04-2008, 01:53 PM   #8 
dougz

Yes, you will still need to do water changes, to keep the nitrates down..

But at least the ammonia and nitrites will be broken down by the bacteria stored inside the filter media (sponge)..

But till the filter gets established you have to do daily water changes and water tests to keep your fish alive..
Old 04-04-2008, 03:18 PM   #9 
DelTASteve

Alright, well I did a complete water change, and put in a heater (set to 78 Degrees) as well as an in tank filter (Whisper In Tank i3). So I should do daily water changes for how long until the filter gets established? Also, the tank seems a little crowded with all of the stuff in there now, is that going to bother the fish? I can't get him a bigger tank unfortunately, as a 2.5 gallon is the largest I am allowed to have in my dorm room.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 04-04-2008, 03:49 PM   #10 
DelTASteve

Also, I just tested the water.

GH = 120
KH = 80
pH = 7.0 - 7.5
No2 = 0
No3 = 0

And, I was told to make sure that the current is not too strong. I put him in there, and he seems to like chasing the food across the top, and he even sits near the top and swims around his pot, and is still normal colored. I kinked the hose anyway, to lessen the current. Is there any definitive way for me to tell if the current is to strong?

Thanks,

Steve