Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-22-2013, 01:05 PM   #1 
steftravels

Why are all my fish getting sick? This is weird? Please help!

I have a really weird situation. My last fighter fish I had for over a year. Everything was fine until he randomly got sick. I did not add anything to his aquarium (other fish, new toys etc).... he ended up getting 3 red blotches (not sores) on the side of his body and took about 3 weeks to die...and did not eat (I tried 2 different medicines with no help)

Fast forward to today. I cleaned out all the supplies as I always have. I threw out the filter medium and all my tubes. However I did keep the small black mesh filter that goes over the bottom of the filter tube...I used hot water and salt and cleaned everything that I kept. Then I re-set up my aquarium and got it ready for a new fish.

3 days ago I went to the pet store and I got my new fighter fish. He was excited to go into his tank and he appeared to be so friendly coming to the front of the tank when I called. etc. By the second day he was sitting in his plants not wanting to come out.. it looks like he is not eating as I put food in there now and he goes near it but doesn't eat. Yesterday he started to act like he was "dying" (head down..floating almost straight up from his head)...I could not believe this....so I went to the pet store with my water to have it tested. She said everything was fine... obviously she cannot see germs though...

I have a second small tank. Should I take him out and put him in there? it doesn't have the ability to be heated... could this all be fish TB? what is going on? I have kept fish for years and I am not sure what is happening.
steftravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:20 PM   #2 
xShainax

Did you acclimate him?
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:33 PM   #3 
steftravels

yes I did... over 45 min of bag floating....
Old 03-22-2013, 05:53 PM   #4 
ryancalif

I would test the water yourself to be sure.

No offense to any pet store employees here, but testing water is a delicate, and exacting procedure. They can sometimes be in a hurry to get other things done, and as a result, corners are cut...

The three red blotches sound like ammonia poisoning to me. But it could very well be a bacterial infection of some sort. Testing the water is a good first step.
ryancalif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:57 PM   #5 
steftravels

I was there when she did the water test. Unfortunately I won't be able to afford to buy all the testing kits right now that is why I went to the pet store to have them check it. I did see the results myself and compared them to their chart. Is there any reason a betta would be upright?
Old 03-22-2013, 05:57 PM   #6 
Bombalurina

It may well be that this new fish just had issues in the shop which have only come to light now. I once had a rescue who acted fine in his digusting cold jar, but after a few days in my heated, cycled 5 gallon, his tail fell off.

Can you fill this out for us? :)

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:49 PM   #7 
steftravels

Sure here we go.... also is Hemmoragic Septcemia contagious? because now I am noticing his fins are starting to look red so I started triple sulfa just now...I think that is what the first fish had and now how could this one have it as well? Just a fluke? or is something going on here..

Housing
What size is your tank? - 5 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 78-80
Does your tank have a filter? yes, removed media for medication right now
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes with adjustable thermometer
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? by himself

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari betta bites.
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 in am 2 in pm he is still tiny-ish

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? I usually do once a week but he is brand new. I changed a bit last night
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 1/4th usually
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? I add cycle occasionally as well as water treatment

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? yes I tested it at the pet shop last night. Everything was balanced. I saw the test myself.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Got him on tuesday 19th by 22nd I have noticed red streaks in fins
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? starting on 21 he was going head down all the time, not eating
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 21st I started to notice weird behavior
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I just started triple sulfa today
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no he was new but my last fish died of a similar case...I am thinking. I did clean everything out well replaced the plants filter medium etc... only thing I re used was the bottom foam on the filter (where it sucks up) and a ceramic tunnel for the fish. All were washed in hot water with epsom salts.
How old is your fish (approximately)? He is small. I would say less than 1 year he is approx 1.5 -2 inch for his body.. much tinier than my other fish but OK size that he should not be weak
Old 03-22-2013, 11:41 PM   #8 
LittleBlueFishlets

When you say you acclimated him by "over 45 min of bag floating" - were you adding small amounts of tank water to his bag during this time, or just letting the temps equalize? It's important to slowly add water from your tank to the bag, so he can adjust to your water chemistry. (Personally, when I get a new fish, I acclimate for several hours, but I tend to be paranoid. )

"Fish TB" is a form of Mycobacterial infection. It can survive for long periods of time, even on dry surfaces, as the bacteria has a waxy coating that protects it. It can even live in distilled water for a long time. However, it doesn't survive on dry, clean surfaces indefinitely....
  • How long was the tank empty?
  • Was there ANY water in the tank during this time, or was it completely dry?
  • Is the same filter in it now? If not, how did you clean the filter? Was it left wet, or dried completely?
  • Other than hot water and Epsom salt, did you use anything else to clean the tank?

Hemorrhagic septicemia can be either viral or bacterial.

Here is a picture of a fish suffering from the viral form:

There are additional pictures of the viral form here.

The bacterial form is caused by several different types of Aeromonas bacteria. I'll look for a picture of this, but in the meantime, here's some information: http://ag.ansc.purdue.edu/courses/aq...s/bacteria.htm

Edited to add pictures and info for bacterial septicemia:

More information at: http://www.americanaquariumproducts....aeromonas.html

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 03-22-2013 at 11:49 PM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:04 AM   #9 
steftravels

Hi Everyone.. yes I floated him for 45 min... added a bit of water every 15 or so... I have done nothing different than what I usually have done. That's why I don't understand what is going on... I have kept fish for years and never encountered anything like this. Now his fins are going super red.. this is moving fast... so I am thinking I am going to have to toss everything out... the tank.. etc...

The tank was empty for maybe a day and a half. I guess I should have let it dry out but I figured since I cleaned it with such hot water and salts that it should have been clean enough. I didn't know the bacteria from the previous fish was so strong. ..... My filter is the same one. I cleaned it out with hot water and salt as well and scrubbed inside with brushes...I let the parts soak in the salt bucket and then let them dry for a few days on the counter. All the media was thrown out except for the black foam piece that goes over the intake spout (maybe that was my mistake). The other item from the previous tank was a ceramic tunnel but that was also cleaned and left out to dry.... the only cleaners I have used on the tank was aquarium salt,, hot hot water...and epsom salt (something I bought to treat the previous fish)...............I feel so bad for the little guy that it is spreading so fast...and I didn't want to buy him and stick him in a situation like this I am always so careful with my fish and I really thought I made the right move by throwing out pretty much everything.... I can't believe how he is going from bad to worse so quickly....this is just so sad... I don't want to try another fish because I am afraid they might come down with the same thing............ is there any way I can be sure that the bacteria is out of the tank...letting it sit for a few weeks? or just getting a new one all together.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:11 AM   #10 
steftravels

This was him on the 19th

and this is how he looks today, I'm really upset....