Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-23-2013, 08:25 AM   #21 
isochronism

This thread just reminded me to put a leaf in each tank. Amy is the only IAL source in my book!!!!!
(am I the only one imagining Fiky in a Mermaid suit) HA :)
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:28 AM   #22 
isochronism

A great aquatic advertising spokesperson. Really!! :)
I could happen.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:32 AM   #23 
fiky95

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbenton89 View Post
ok makes sense i am going to be ordering some ASAP lol right now i am medicating with Epsom salt trying to treat what i believe is fin rot. fiky95 u say you have a tail biter? i have always believed that my betta has the same problem but my girlfriend doesn't believe me. have you witnessed tail biting before? thank you alll for raving about the IAL haha def convinced me its the way to go.
Hello :)
Do you have some pictures you could share of him? That'd be the easiest way to tell :) Do the edges seem discolored or are there literally just chunks missing?
Yes, unfortunately, I do! It's pretty rare that you actually catch them biting, but if you do, it looks like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1n0T2gP3_Y
Epsom salt is not really going to help with fin rot, I don't think :( It's apparently great against bloating, but Aquarium salt is usually the way to go with fin rot.
Biting can proceed into fin rot easily tho, so you might be right either way. The first thing to do would be lots of warm, clean water (i.e. increasing water changes depending on the size of your tank). I keep mine at 82F/28C, because I find it really speeds up the healing process.:)
The leaves are GREAT in these "recovery" cases, especially if it is biting.:) I'll see how I get on with my little tail biter (he hasn't bitten himself in a few weeks!) and I'll definitely post something about it! :) I don't want to act like "a know it all" before I'm 100% sure that what I'm doing is right.:)

Btw: I'm not sure where you are from, but in case you are dealing with some serious fin rot that doesn't want to go away, I recommend Sera Baktopur Direct, that thing is a beast against pretty much anything bacterial! But that's seriously the LAST step to take.

Jeez, I need to stop talking, really! xD

Good luck! :) xxx
fiky95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:37 AM   #24 
fiky95

Quote:
Originally Posted by isochronism View Post
This thread just reminded me to put a leaf in each tank. Amy is the only IAL source in my book!!!!!
(am I the only one imagining Fiky in a Mermaid suit) HA :)
lol I wish and I bet you are the only one! xD It coul be potentially pretty cool tho. Strangely enough, always makes me think of Harry Potter and the goblet of fire instead of The Little Mermaid.xD
Old 04-23-2013, 08:38 AM   #25 
isochronism

I learn so much here :)
Old 04-23-2013, 08:45 AM   #26 
fiky95

Quote:
Originally Posted by isochronism View Post
I learn so much here :)
Thank you God for this forum, I don't even want to share how horrible my beginnings were with all the misleading information I was given! I feel sorry for Sergej for being my first fish.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:48 AM   #27 
Nibblez

Sounds like a brilliant addition to any betta tanks but are they alright for NPTs? Do they have any effect on shimps, snails or other fishes? Bit curious, kinda considering adding it to my tanks once i get them set up. Sounds awesome from all the stuff it does.
Nibblez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:52 AM   #28 
isochronism

Fiky, don't beat yourself up. This world can be cruel and you are a shining light :)
Old 04-23-2013, 08:54 AM   #29 
fiky95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibblez View Post
Sounds like a brilliant addition to any betta tanks but are they alright for NPTs? Do they have any effect on shimps, snails or other fishes? Bit curious, kinda considering adding it to my tanks once i get them set up. Sounds awesome from all the stuff it does.
They are absolutely fine for NPTs! I would just make sure they aren't blocking the light! :) They really just and only beneficial, it seems like.:) Any "blackwater fish" should love them! :) You can read more about it underneath any of Amy's listings.:) I have a NPT and a nerite snail.:)

Please don't hate me for replying all the time! xD

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amys-50-gram...item589eb6b2e5
Old 04-23-2013, 08:58 AM   #30 
Laki

Shrimp LOVE IAL . I mean LOVE. They love crawling all over them and eating them and hiding in them. The baby shrimplets use IAL for shelter and eat micro things off them.

As for NPT's , you don't want to add like 3 leaves bc the water will get so dark light won't reach the roots or whatever. But one leaf is fine.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote