Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-23-2013, 10:03 AM   #41 
isochronism

Fiky, your spirit is certainly not broke....
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:52 AM   #42 
mbenton89

i have a few pics yes and thank you for the quick response. he has a few chunks missing in his rear fin and white on edges of a lot of fins. a couple little pinholes in his rear fin as well. i read on here somewhere that epsom salt works just as good and its what i had at home so i went with it but maybe ill get some aq salt to try and help. ordered my IAL but im sure itll take weeks to get here. we have been doing 100% water changes everyday in his 1 gal qt bowl with a heater in there as well around 77 deg seems to be the best i can get. should i keep it dark the whole time or is a little light ok? i am from minnesota i have no idea what that stuff is your talking about but i am more of a natural remedy kind of guy so anyting from good ol mother earth is ok with me. i hope everything works out for the better with you and your little tail biter. i will post a few pics of how my little betta has come along the pics go in order around when we first got him maybe thrree weeks ago to today i know it is a lot of pics but we have been taking them almost daily and except for the first one you can assume they go in order and almost daily
Attached Images

mbenton89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:50 PM   #43 
fiky95

That really seems like biting to me, it seems especially apparent in the 4th picture. If you see sort of transparent edges, it means that the fins are growing back (that might be the white edges you are talking about). Pin holes are usually early signs of fin rot, but I find that it can seem like "holes" when the fins are growing back "together". God, my explaining skills deserve a Nobel prize.xD
Anyway, do you have a filter in his usual/not quarantine tank? I was told my OFL that the current can stress them out. He might as well be bored - feeding him different types of food might help, some people recommend to put a golf ball in the tank, so he can play with it... You should definitely add some Stress Coat in there, that can never hurt! :)
What has worked for me is setting up a NPT, raising the temperature, more food variety (3 different types), IALs and a nerite snail just recently (he seems to be stalking him, so he's got something else to worry about than his fins! xD). All of which is fairly costly as you can imagine and a lot of work. I will make a more in depth post about it if it keeps working.:)
Oh nevermind, it's not available in the US anyway.:)
Yes, it's probably going to take a while for them to get there! :( SOMETIMES you can find IAL extracts in pet shops, which is an option too. Watch out for them to be natural tho with the antibacterial properties. I can't recommend you any brands sold in the US tho, because I have no idea about them. I used to buy Dajana Amazon, but it's a Czech company - you can get it shipped from Germany via eBay, but it'll take ages as well and I much prefer the leaves. I would even send it to you from here, but I don't think it'd be quick enough.xD
Definitely watch him for fin rot signs tho and you can always try the Aq. salt, although I must say it hasn't worked for me, but it might obviously work for you! :)
77F is pretty good, it'd be amazing if you managed to slowly get it to 80F, but either way, I'm sure you are both doing all you can.:)
Good luck with it and let us all know how it's been going! Or at least drop me a message, because I really hope it'll work out well for you! :) You might want to message somebody way more helpful and experienced than me on here to get their opinion as well or start a thread in the diseases and emergencies section. I'm trying to help you as much as I can, but I feel like I am no expert, so...xD xxx
fiky95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:42 PM   #44 
mbenton89

i guess we have never witnessed him tail biting so we dont think he is lol but i dont see why he would have fin rot we have been doing 100 percent water changes everyday for ten days with 1tsp of epsom salt i know it should be aq salt but its what we had. you would think with all the clean water changes that it wouldnt be fin rot. his normal tank did have a HOB filter on it and it did create to big of a current so waitin to get sponge filter before he goes back in the ten gallon. i did start a thread a couple days ago if you go to my Control panel and find all my posts you hwill find a more in depth explanatioin of how this all started its just to much to retype on my stupid comp right now. What is a NPT and OFL?? thank you very much for the response its greatly appreciated . we also tried the ping pong ball thing we do it daily for a little bit so far he ignores it lol i dont know how to keep him from biting his tail please help!!!!!! at least thats what we think he is doing lol. what is stress coat i have tetra bettasafe water conditioner that adds a slime coat ?
mbenton89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:58 PM   #45 
Mashiro

Anyone have any idea how much IAL to add per gallon?
Mashiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:30 PM   #46 
fiky95

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbenton89 View Post
i guess we have never witnessed him tail biting so we dont think he is lol but i dont see why he would have fin rot we have been doing 100 percent water changes everyday for ten days with 1tsp of epsom salt i know it should be aq salt but its what we had. you would think with all the clean water changes that it wouldnt be fin rot. his normal tank did have a HOB filter on it and it did create to big of a current so waitin to get sponge filter before he goes back in the ten gallon. i did start a thread a couple days ago if you go to my Control panel and find all my posts you hwill find a more in depth explanatioin of how this all started its just to much to retype on my stupid comp right now. What is a NPT and OFL?? thank you very much for the response its greatly appreciated . we also tried the ping pong ball thing we do it daily for a little bit so far he ignores it lol i dont know how to keep him from biting his tail please help!!!!!! at least thats what we think he is doing lol. what is stress coat i have tetra bettasafe water conditioner that adds a slime coat ?
oh I didn't know, sorry about that! I will try to look it up! :) Yeah, I mean you can potentially have ammonia spikes in a newly set up tank (I'll read your previous posts about it first tho! :) or what happened to me - my Mom plugged out the filter accidentally for a few hours, which killed the cycle, I had no idea about it. I'm getting overly chatty again.
OFL stand for OldFishLady - she used to contribute here and had amazing experience with keeping all kinds of fish, but unfortunately, she doesn't post anymore.
NPT is a naturally planted tank.:)

http://www.petco.com/product/2896/AP...t=OnSiteSearch

This is the stress coat.:) You might want to try that!

Honestly, it's such a sad thing! Nobody even really knows why they do it and it's really difficult. You could get him some floating plants if you don't want to go all out with a planted tank tho. I have frogbit.:) It's also fairly individual.:( I have the tank quite near TV as well and I have noticed he's obsessed with football (you'd say soccer, I guess xD) and golf. I guess because of all the greenary? xD I might be just imagining it, but I feel like he does enjoy it.xD I'm myself having issues with reintroducing a fasting day to him, because he bites himself every single time, so I've kinda give up.

Well, even if you don't manage to solve the biting completely, the most important is to make sure that he doesn't get fin rot.

Definitely give the stress coat and the leaves a shot first! :)
Old 04-24-2013, 05:31 PM   #47 
fiky95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashiro View Post
Anyone have any idea how much IAL to add per gallon?
http://www.indianalmondleaves.com/bettafish.php

How much should I use for my Betta?

Different Betta keepers have different opinions when it comes to the ideal dose, but using 2 leaves per 50 L (13 us gallons) is common. There are however quite a few keepers that routinely use 2 leaves per 15 L (4 us gallons) in their Betta tanks.
In Betta breeding tanks, the standard dose is 1 leaf per 20 L (5 us gallons).
In Betta fry rearing tanks, the standard dose is 1 leaf per 40 L (10 us gallons) of water.
These recommendations are based on 15-25 cm (6-10 in) leaves. If your leaves are larger or smaller, you need to adjust accordingly.

↑ hope that helps :) I personally use 1 leaf for my 7gal :) xxx