Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-22-2013, 08:22 PM   #1 
mightyxmouse

cloudy water

Hi,

I have a 5 gallon with heater, filter, some fake plants, a moss ball, and aquarium gravel

water params are normal and my betta is healthy.

however, the water is always cloudy - what could be causing this?
mightyxmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:06 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Have you cleaned the walls? I have a 5g acrylic tank that looked cloudy, turned out the walls needed to be wiped off. How long has the tank been set up? Newer tanks can have a bacteria/algae bloom which clouds the water, takes a week or two to go away with regular water changes. Do you vacuum well when you do a water change? I had a 10g that had been set up for a few months & had cloudy water, found out i wasn't vacuuming well enough. When you say water parameters are normal, exactly what is normal? Are you using test strips or a liquid test kit? Strips are not typically accurate, just an FYI.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:17 PM   #3 
mightyxmouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
Have you cleaned the walls? I have a 5g acrylic tank that looked cloudy, turned out the walls needed to be wiped off. How long has the tank been set up? Newer tanks can have a bacteria/algae bloom which clouds the water, takes a week or two to go away with regular water changes. Do you vacuum well when you do a water change? I had a 10g that had been set up for a few months & had cloudy water, found out i wasn't vacuuming well enough. When you say water parameters are normal, exactly what is normal? Are you using test strips or a liquid test kit? Strips are not typically accurate, just an FYI.

I didn't use a scrubber to clean the walls when I first got the tank - just kind of rubbed the walls after I soaked the tank in hot water over night - of course I rinsed a few times afterwards to make sure the tank was really clean.

When doing water changes I do sometimes use a scrubber to clean scrub the tank walls but I don't know how often I should do this - does it affect the water parameters if I do this every time I do a water change? (I do 50% twice a week)

The tank's been set up for about 2 months now. Is that still in the time frame that the algae/bacteria will bloom?

I believe I'm doing a good vacuuming with my water changes - I make sure I get the corners and under the decorations too..

I use API's freshwater liquid testing kit - normal according to one of the stickies on the forum...although the pH of the water is slightly high at 7.4 and no matter how many times I change the water, my ammonia levels are 0.25ppm
mightyxmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:35 PM   #4 
ryancalif

If its a white cloudy color, it's most likely bacteria bloom. Nothing to worry about as long as you keep your ammonia and nitrite in check.

You just need to wait it out though. Eventually, the excess bacteria will die off and the system will reach equilibrium again.
ryancalif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:31 AM   #5 
shellieca
Reference Team

If you're seeing ammonia then your tank isn't cycled BUT make sure you're actually seeing .25, lay the vial on something completely white, if you lay the vial against the card it can look tinged green when its not. How long has it been cloudy? Sounds like you're doing everything correctly so IMO its most likely a bloom & should clear up, it could take a couple weeks.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:52 PM   #6 
fiky95

I'm not sure where you are from, but if you have access to Tetra, then you could try Tetra CrystalWater if you are really hopeless. I have the feeling it's exclusive to Europe, but I've heard great things about it and have tested it myself. I must admit it's really great - it basically helps the filter to catch the smaller particles. Good luck.:)
fiky95 is offline   Reply With Quote