Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-06-2008, 02:44 AM   #1 
cms_star84

A brand new Betta Mommy here!

Hey everyone! I'm just here to introduce myself! My boyfriend and I just recently decided to get a Betta fish because they're sooo pretty. We did lots of research and got our little Frank today! He's beautiful! We have a little tank, which when we're richer we'll get a bigger one and we bought all the additional supplies needed (heater, testers etc.) to make him a long living happy fishy! All of your posts have been very informative and I'm looking forward to being part of a little fishy community! Thanks!
cms_star84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 03:21 AM   #2 
jmelissa82

Welcome aboard...or perhaps welcome afloat.......good luck with Frank!
jmelissa82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 07:18 AM   #3 
Flashygrrl

Great!! May I ask what testing kit you bought and the tank size?

Welcome to the Forum!!!
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 09:12 AM   #4 
SST

Welcome to FishForum :D
SST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 03:51 PM   #5 
cms_star84

When we got the tank we didn't know the best minimum size so we only have a 2 gallon. I've felt guilty ever since and when I can afford it, I'm getting a 5 gallon at least. I can't stand the idea of poor Frank not being happy enough! We have strips for now, which I know aren't that reliable, but we're waiting on a liquid test kit. We have API testers for now though. He has a little heater in there, and we have a temp guage and some water conditioner too. We've also gotten some freeze-dried bloodworms and shrimps for him to eat. He has a pretty little tank with a cave thing he can hide in and 2 fake plants as to not overcrowd him. He seems very happy right now, and that makes me happy! Thanks for all of the welcomes and any future advice!!
Old 04-06-2008, 06:40 PM   #6 
Flashygrrl

Well, a 2 gallon is a lot better than those stupid 1/2 gallon cups they call tanks. Do you have a filter in there?
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 06:55 PM   #7 
missfish1996

Well first welcome to the wonderful world of the foum! :D and um...if you have any questions you know just ask.....welcome again. 8)
missfish1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 08:29 PM   #8 
okiemavis

Sounds like you've got a great start! Most first time betta owners come here SO upset about the misinformation they got at the fish store. It's refreshing to see someone to really did their research. A great resource for fish tank stuff is craigslist. I regularly see full setups for $20, or even for free. Also, if you want a cheap, tiny filter, just search for a DIY sponge filter. Basically all you need is an air pump and a bunch of stuff that other people would think of as trash (like bits of PVC tube). It's the perfect filter for a betta tank because it makes very little water flow and is tiny.
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 08:33 PM   #9 
cms_star84

We have a filter under the gravel and a little air pump. Those two came with the tank itself. But we had to add the rest, which is why we can't afford a bigger tank lol. We're getting a little gravel vaccuum and some aquarium salt today and hopefully all will be well for a long time! Trust me, this will be the first place I come when I need help. You can't get better information from fish lovers themselves!
Old 04-06-2008, 08:44 PM   #10 
okiemavis

That tank sounds really nice for you betta, he should be quite happy and healthy. Could I ask what the aquarium salt is for though? Salt is good to add when the fish is sick, but it's not good to keep in the water always. It looses its effectiveness for when you really need it, and can compromise the immune system of your betta.
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote