Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-06-2008, 10:54 PM   #1 
Neo

I love bettas but dont know alot

Hi my name is Ryan and i searched on this website tons of times before joining.(excelent site) I am on my second betta(superman) on the count of his red and blue color. He is in a 2.5 gallon with water purifier and silk plants. What can i do to maintain a great aquatic environment
Neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 05:27 AM   #2 
Flashygrrl

Filter, heater, water testing kit (the liquid kind). Daily 25% water change if your tank isn't cycled, weekly or twice weekly if it is. Other than that, not much :)

Welcome to the forum!!!
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 12:26 PM   #3 
Neo

I have a filter, but no heater, what do you mean when u say cycled? i dont know alot excuse me, srry if i ask the obvious questions i just want to keep a great home for the coolest animals in the world. i just need to know what you mean by cycled, and what about the water test, whats it do?
Old 04-07-2008, 12:30 PM   #4 
JMeenen

Your Betta will need a heater..they don't like to be cold! You can get one for small tanks that is flat and sticks on the inside. They are about $10.00 . They have them at Petsmart 7 petco.
JMeenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 12:33 PM   #5 
JMeenen

you can also get a tiny power filter made by Azoo which works great is really quiet and costs about $10.00 as well.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:41 PM   #6 
Neo

yea i already have a filter that runs quiet ill go get a heater either 2day or 2morrow, what do u mean by if the water is cycled? does that mean running through a filter? im kinda lost, lol, but im deffinitly gonna get a heater
Old 04-07-2008, 12:50 PM   #7 
JMeenen

Cycling refers to the level of nitrites/nitrates in your tank. Your tank water contains bacteria that "clean up" the fish watse in your tank ..the by products of fish waste and uneaten food is Nitrites ( which is poison to fish) the bacteria change it to nitrates which are not toxic to fish. Your tank has to become well established for this cycle to occur...That is why a bowl is not a good environment for a Betta because every time you clean it it is a total water change..and this causes your fish to go into shock and possibly die....However if you have the proper equiptment which creates a good ecosystem ie. Light, filtered H2O, Oxygen ( from the moving water) and Temperature ( Very Important) Your tank will become well established with good bacteria and it will cycle. Remeber to do regular 25% water chage.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:53 PM   #8 
Neo

ok i think i understand now, he is in the 2.5 gallon tank which is good, he has a filter, also good, im gonna get a heater which is great, lol, and im gonna get a test so i know whats going on, ill keep changing 25% a day until it gets cycled, which is when the little stuff gets broken down which will be like the ultimate environment in my eyes, lol, god tanks with happy fish and a well environment is so beautiful...........or is it just me, lol
Old 04-07-2008, 12:56 PM   #9 
JMeenen

Good Luck with your Little Buddy...pretty soon you will be hooked like most of us here and have more and more...I have only 8!
Old 04-07-2008, 01:03 PM   #10 
Neo

too late to GET hooked, i was there when my last fish died, im dedicated, besides the littlecritters just make me smile, but then he looks at me like he wants to kill me if only the glass wasnt there, bad superman