Betta Fish Forum banner

A brand new Betta Mommy here!

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  cajunmomof4 
#1 ·
Hey everyone! I'm just here to introduce myself! My boyfriend and I just recently decided to get a Betta fish because they're sooo pretty. We did lots of research and got our little Frank today! He's beautiful! We have a little tank, which when we're richer we'll get a bigger one and we bought all the additional supplies needed (heater, testers etc.) to make him a long living happy fishy! All of your posts have been very informative and I'm looking forward to being part of a little fishy community! Thanks!

#5 ·
When we got the tank we didn't know the best minimum size so we only have a 2 gallon. I've felt guilty ever since and when I can afford it, I'm getting a 5 gallon at least. I can't stand the idea of poor Frank not being happy enough! We have strips for now, which I know aren't that reliable, but we're waiting on a liquid test kit. We have API testers for now though. He has a little heater in there, and we have a temp guage and some water conditioner too. We've also gotten some freeze-dried bloodworms and shrimps for him to eat. He has a pretty little tank with a cave thing he can hide in and 2 fake plants as to not overcrowd him. He seems very happy right now, and that makes me happy! Thanks for all of the welcomes and any future advice!!

#8 ·
Sounds like you've got a great start! Most first time betta owners come here SO upset about the misinformation they got at the fish store. It's refreshing to see someone to really did their research. A great resource for fish tank stuff is craigslist. I regularly see full setups for $20, or even for free. Also, if you want a cheap, tiny filter, just search for a DIY sponge filter. Basically all you need is an air pump and a bunch of stuff that other people would think of as trash (like bits of PVC tube). It's the perfect filter for a betta tank because it makes very little water flow and is tiny.

#9 ·
We have a filter under the gravel and a little air pump. Those two came with the tank itself. But we had to add the rest, which is why we can't afford a bigger tank lol. We're getting a little gravel vaccuum and some aquarium salt today and hopefully all will be well for a long time! Trust me, this will be the first place I come when I need help. You can't get better information from fish lovers themselves!

#10 ·
That tank sounds really nice for you betta, he should be quite happy and healthy. Could I ask what the aquarium salt is for though? Salt is good to add when the fish is sick, but it's not good to keep in the water always. It looses its effectiveness for when you really need it, and can compromise the immune system of your betta.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.