Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-23-2013, 02:11 PM   #1 
LissaLooHoo

115 gallon sorority? and Topless Tank Help. What do you guys think?

Hello! I recently have gotten a 36 gallon bow front, and have had it for about 3 months now, and have found that my 2 loaches 4 Cory's, and my 7 betta girlies are beginning to get a tad big, and I was thinking of simply upgrading to a 55 for some more room, up until i found a 115-125 gallon tank on craigslist for 50 dollar with heater, decor, and light for 50 dollars. unfortunately, it does not have a lid, but i was figuring I could have my boyfriend build one for me, have any of you ever build any? Anyways, with a tank this size, and me being a Sophomore in high school, what do you guys think as high as maintenance? I have a Fluval U3 for 70 gall, and a top biowheel for a 35, so I was thinking of incorporating those? If anyone is willing to ship one my way please do!(; My girls are all so beautiful, and well behaved, and I would just love to expand them. I have an extremely bad anxiety disorder, and mood disorder that I have found my fish soothe almost instantly. They really have been my lifesavers. I've had the girls in the tank now for about 6 months now, and everyone is healthy, hearty, and some beefy(; How many girls would you suggest in this tank, and how long do you suggest I cycle a tank of this size? And would any of you take on this task?
LissaLooHoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:58 PM   #2 
Bombalurina

Cycle it til it is cycled! There's no set time limit on that. Of course, cycling will definitely go faster with established media and substrate from your current tank. :)

You could easily have 20 girls, 10 cories and 10 loaches (I'm just assuming they are kuhlis, I could be wrong). Personally, I'd prefer to have just as many girls as I'd feel I could have a special bond with - too many, and I'd forget who was who. :p However, a 20-girl sorority, especially if you had lots of different colours and tail-types, would be stunning.

I would definitely take on a task like this. I'd stock lightly and plant heavily to reduce water changes (or at least, the amount of water that I'd need to change), and use a python rather than an ordinary siphon, so that I wouldn't have to carry water.

Using both your current filters alongside a filter rated for a 115-125 gallon is a good idea - as I said, it will help the cycle, and it can't hurt to have a bit of extra filtration. :)

I'm very jealous!
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:19 PM   #3 
Artemis

Lucky!!!! I want a sorority.
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:33 PM   #4 
jadaBlu

I would suggest you get cut plexiglass in multiple sections to fit your tank and get stick on hook for each section so you can lift them up to do feeding and care. This should be cheaper than buying a lid especially if you can get some off of freecycle or craigslist. For lighting some sort of overhead light with a uv light bulbs would work. Like those round clamp lights you get at the hardware store could work and they are very cheap.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:27 AM   #5 
LissaLooHoo

Thank you guys for your help! I appreciate it! Bomb, what kinda of plants would you suggest being in a tank so big? And Jada, I'm not quite picking up what you're putting down, is there any way you could show me a picture or an idea of what you're talking about? I personally would love just getting all girls, but my boyfriend is the one who begs that we atleast have some different in there. oh well, can't complain, he pays for half of it!
LissaLooHoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:25 PM   #6 
Blue Fish

You can get plexiglass at most hardware stores, and many will cut it for you to size. :) Basically, you just measure the top of your tank, and then have them cut a flat piece of plexiglass to fit over the top, leaving an inch or two extra on the sides of course so that it doesn't fall in. Like the lid on a wooden box.
For a tank that big, you might want to have them cut it into two or three sections, so that you only have to lift a portion of it for feeding and cleaning. :)

Also, make sure you have enough room at the back for your filter and header cords. Say if my tank is 20inches by 30inches and my HOB extends two inches into the tank. So, to cover my tank, I'm going to need a sheet of plexiglass 19 inches wide and 32 inches long. That's 18 inches for the tank (20 minus 2 for the HOB = 18), plus and inch overhang (so there's your 19 inches) for the width; and 30 inches for the tank plus an extra *2* inches overhang for the length (because you'll need to have overhang on either end, so an inch per end of the tank) which gets you your 32 number. :)

Does that make sense? :)

I hope that helps!!

As for cycling, I have used API quick start on a 10, 20 and 30 gals with great success to jumpstart my cycles. I put a bit of fish food or some livestock in there for a few days first just to get some ammonia started before I add the supplement, (so the bacteria have something to eat immediately) and it's worked really well. One other note though about the Quick Start, once the bottle is opened, use it immediately (within 24 hours for best results, 48 is about the max open-bottle-BB-life). For whatever reason once the BB have been exposed to air...or something...upon opening the bottle, they start to die off. So, only buy a small bottle and use what you need, just toss the rest of it. Don't buy the big bottle unless you *need* a big bottle for multiple tanks. :)

I've had tanks going with it now for the last five months, and so far so good, so I believe it's pretty stable in getting the cycle started. :) I haven't needed to add anymore, and my readings (so far) have been stable.

Prime also makes a product called Stability, and I've seen on other boards that it was pretty well rec'd as well. Haven't used it myself though, so I can't really say. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:33 PM   #7 
percyfyshshelley

Lissa that sounds awesome! Sounds like you could finally handle it, and you will have lots of help from this forum. I'm starting my first sorority too--it's so exciting!
On a personal note, I've had anxiety and mood issues since I was a teenager (I'm old now lol) and I've found fish keeping really helps me. Watching them puts me in a quiet, meditative state.... Also gets me out of my own head for a while. Keep us posted on the tank progress, and pictures please!
percyfyshshelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:33 PM   #8 
bettasareawesome

Location: Iowa, Midwest, USA, North America, Earth, The Sol Star System, Milky Way
A 115 gallon sorority?... Once this thing is done you need to post a picture. For $50... man, your lucky, and with decor, heater light! Congrats on the find!
bettasareawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:16 PM   #9 
Bombalurina

For plants, you could do anything! Huge background plants, like big amazon swords, tall vallisneria, anacharis, an epic moss-wall...a mid-ground forest of java fern, ludwigia repens, cabomba, ambulia, lacefern, bacopa...and pretty carpeting plants - more moss, pygmy chain sword, dwarf and brazillian hairgrass. And floaters!

Do all the plants! :D
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:43 PM   #10 
Fishy Mom

Oh man, am I jealous. What a deal & you can stock it lots of girls! How many can fit in that size tank? 50? More? I'd like to know too.
Fishy Mom is offline   Reply With Quote