Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-23-2013, 02:51 PM   #1 
Laki

Alternative to water bottle filter baffle

So I had one water bottle in my house (I don't drink bottled water but it was given out free when I bought coffee 2 weeks ago) and I tried to baffle my filter but the bottle just did not fit. I was desparate bc I am sick of using a sponge bc of the algae problem.
I usually buy my bunny's lettuce in the plastic containers (she won't eat it out of plastic bags and I buy heads of fresh lettuce when I can) so I cut the corner out of one of those and burned the edges to soften them with a lighter! Attached the whole thing to my filter with elastic bands. It's better for my filter bc I kept the rim on the baffle. Pics:
Attached Images

Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:09 PM   #2 
Jexx

That is a pretty neat idea! Did you buy your lettuce at Sobey's? C:
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:04 AM   #3 
Laki

Hahaha yesss!!! Here there's no competition, there's Sobeys and Loblaws. xD Only one local grocery store.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:51 PM   #4 
Jexx

Hahah no IGA anymore up there?
Old 03-24-2013, 06:23 PM   #5 
Laki

There's never been an IGA in St. John's as far as my memory goes.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:09 AM   #6 
Blue Fish

Wait, is the plastic extending down into the water?

If so, be really, really careful. If the edges are at all sharp, or if your fishies can *possibly* try to get in there, the can really, really hurt themselves. I had one get stuck in a plastic cup once that I'd cut a hole in to float some plants...I had no idea he could even attempt to get up in there. I found him half in/half out, and with a seriously huge slice on his side once I got him free. He lived a couple of weeks before dying of his injuries. :(

I can't tell from your pictures (as the plastic is clear) so maybe this is not even an issue and your fishies couldn't get in there anyway, but, I thought, better safe than sorry. :)

Hopefully this will never happen to you, but I wanted to mention it just in case! :)
Blue Fish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:14 AM   #7 
Laki

Thanks for your concern! Actually while it is going into the water to break the outflow it is not shaped for him to get stuck (it's like an inverted "V" shape almost) . If he was stupid enough to swim in from the back he would only get pushed away by it. My first task after I cut it was melt the edges with a lighter and wash it. The edges are rounded now, Bowser is less concerned with it I think, he likes not being pushed around by water column and the surface of the tank is almost completely still. :)
Old 03-25-2013, 08:50 AM   #8 
Jexx

Well there you go. I am from the east coast as well (originally) and when I was growing up IGA was like THE store to go to so I just assumed they were all over the maritimes. I have been corrected! I really like you baffle though I think I might have to try making one. It looks much more attractive than the water bottle or sponge method
Old 03-26-2013, 12:20 AM   #9 
Blue Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
Thanks for your concern! Actually while it is going into the water to break the outflow it is not shaped for him to get stuck (it's like an inverted "V" shape almost) . If he was stupid enough to swim in from the back he would only get pushed away by it. My first task after I cut it was melt the edges with a lighter and wash it. The edges are rounded now, Bowser is less concerned with it I think, he likes not being pushed around by water column and the surface of the tank is almost completely still. :)
No problem! :) It sounds like you're all good, I never thought about melting the edges with a lighter...what a good idea! :) I did the waterbottle baffle for and bit, and I worried about those sharp edges...I never thought to melt them. :) I'm doing the sponges now, but if I ever decide to plastic baffle again, I'm definitely going to follow your method. :)
Blue Fish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:52 AM   #10 
Laki

haha Jexx, We don't even have "atlantic superstore", the exact same store is called "dominion" here. And then Sobeys' outport store is called Foodland. Never an IGA. :) You learn something new everyday. Also, I think Newfoundland is considered separate from "Maritime" in terms of Canada. I only heard NL included when historians are discussing Maritime seafaring. It's a very confusing time.

YW BlueFish! Like I said, the only reason I ntried experimenting with plastic was because my sponge kept getting slimy algae all over it. GREAT for BB but I hated it. I barely even notice the clear plastic :) The lighter idea was given to me for a bunny forum for the cable ties securing her condo (which are SHARP) so I figured it couldn't hurt the tank if I cleaned it afterwards! So far so good. I don't test my paramters so I don't know if there was a difference made.