Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-23-2013, 06:39 PM   #1 
DreamerHorse

Exclamation What are your experiences with this heater?

So I got a Tetra submersible 2-15 25-watt heater for my 1.5 gallon. I asked my dad and he suprised me with it. If everything goes well, I plan on buying a second and another thermoniter. What I'm asking for is what are your opinions? I want the good and the bad. How do you take good care of it and for those of you that it works for, how have you managed to get it to work for so long?

I read a comment that someone had some for five years, and as long as they didn't keep it unplugged for more than 24 hours to a week, it continued to work good.

Comments, suggestions, give me it all.
DreamerHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:11 PM   #2 
mld02004

I've read some negative things about them on this board, but I've had mine for a few months w/ my 6.6 gallon and had zero issues with it. It keeps the temp very steady. IMO for the money it is a decent heater.
mld02004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:16 PM   #3 
DreamerHorse

Yea, I keep seeing the negative. But then I think logical. Maybe the heater they had was malfunctioning because of it was damaged. Maybe they didn't follow directions to the T...

Thanks for commenting. :)
Old 03-23-2013, 10:51 PM   #4 
Tikibirds

I have a 50 watt one and it can't even heat up a 1 gallon bowl above 73
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:50 AM   #5 
Juditko

I bought one and returned it due to the negative recommendations here. It was plugged in for about two days. I will give it credit for working just fine for those two days...almost made me feel bad for replacing it LOL.
Juditko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:04 PM   #6 
DreamerHorse

Lol. I hope it works properly... My mom hates ordering things off websites like Amazon, so I can't just go and get a better one. And petsmart is an hour away, with all other good petstores, and we can't go because we're always low on gas. Not to mention she won't drive that far just for a heater.

I heard that acrylic heats better than glass. Maybe that's why the smaller tanks heat up better...
Old 03-24-2013, 12:24 PM   #7 
Kithy

I got one yesterday with a 1.5g and so far it's holding at 77*. Seemed to heat up quickly which was good and now it's staying stable. Not the worst thing I've spend my money although for a few dollars more at another store could have got something a little better (I like adjustables but Walmart doesn't have any that small).
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:20 PM   #8 
amzingaly

I"ve had one for 7 months so far and its been keeping my 5 gallon tank at 78 degrees since i got it. The instructions say to unplug it 15 minutes before removing it from water so I always unplug it before doing a water change just to be safe. I know it has a lot of negative reviews but I'm satisfied with it :)
amzingaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:49 PM   #9 
bniebetta

I personally think that 78 degrees is not adequate for betta fish. Again, my personal opinion :) however, we had one for about four days, and when we couldn't even keep the water at 78, we just took it back. My piece of crap heater works better than that thing did.
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:40 PM   #10 
DreamerHorse

Apparently the heater is based a little off of room temp. I read it off the tetra website in the question and answer section.

Quote: It flickers on and off continuously to regulate the temperature. There is no set time for it to be on. How often and how long will depend on the current temperature of the tank, room temperature, etc.