Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-23-2013, 07:07 PM   #1 
keeley146

Fin rot or just torn fins?

About a week ago I noticed overnight that our Betta's find all of a sudden had some holes and tears in it. It does co-inside with me removing a bit of sponge I had inside his filter intake which was slowing the filter flow. I have never seen him bite at his tail or anything like that and as far as I know, we have done everything right with him to make sure he's healthy. Here is our info and a couple photos. Do you think its fin rot or did the filter or something else in the tank possibly damage his fin? The first photo shows what his tail used to look like and the other photos were taken just now.

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 79 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? NLS
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2x/day 4 pellets each feeding

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 1x week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? stress coat, prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate:0ppm
pH: n/a
Hardness: n/a
Alkalinity: n/a

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? the upper half of his tail fin is broken/shredded looking.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? it hasnt
When did you start noticing the symptoms? about a week ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? not sure, we have had him for 1 month
Name:  2013-03-01_07-12-41_917.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  39.5 KB

Name:  003.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  56.2 KB

Name:  009.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  54.3 KB

Name:  013.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  53.9 KB

Name:  025.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  40.0 KB
keeley146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:22 PM   #2 
fiky95

Hello there, I really wish I had more experience so I could help you, but I can talk from my previous experience and what I was recommended when I was having a similar issue.
The black ends seem to be his natural colouring and quite honestly, if you noticed quite major changes overnight, it's most likely not fin rot. First thing to check would be the decorations for sure as well as the filter. Do you have a sponge pre-filtration? :) If you do, then that surely minimizes the risk of him getting caught in it.
Anyway, it does look like tail biting to me.:( I have a tail biter also, I actually most likey bought him as a "tail biter" already, which is pretty unfortunate. You seem to be doing everything right. Have you noticed any new growth on the fins? Any clear edges? That'd be a great thing to start off with. Tail biting can easily result into fin rot tho.
I would suggest using Indian Almond Leaves if you have any - they have great antibacterial properties and will majorly decrease the possibility of him getting a fin rot. If you don't have them, I recommend Amy Lim on eBay, she sells amazing quality leaves for great prices! I get the C+ ones.:)
The only thing that confuses me is that your nitrates are at zero? That's pretty much impossible, tbh. What test kit do you use if I can ask? It should be under 20, most ideally at about 10, but definitely not 0.
I would personally increase water changes for now, add the IAL, possibly some aquarium salt and gradually raised the temperature to 82F if you can, because that speeds up the healing process.
Definitely try to watch him closely.:)
I'm not an expert at all tho, but I felt bad that you haven't had any responses yet, so I thought I'd share my experience with the issue.
Good luck to you and your boy! :)
fiky95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:08 AM   #3 
keeley146

Thank you for your response fiky95, I appreciate it!
Old 03-25-2013, 02:16 PM   #4 
fiky95

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeley146 View Post
Thank you for your response fiky95, I appreciate it!
awwww I'm glad.:) Hope he's doing better! :) He's really, really pretty, btw, nearly forgot to say that.:)
fiky95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:25 PM   #5 
Luimeril

it looks like he's tail biting. :V pretty common in longer-finned bettas. hhm....are those live plants in with him? everything seem to be checking out.... is his filter baffled? sometimes the current stresses them out to the point of tail biting. x:
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:31 PM   #6 
keeley146

Yes, all of his plants are live plants except the ones attached to the cave, I think those are silk. We did have his filter baffled to where the flow was almost non-existent. He seemed to like the current so I took out the piece of sponge I had in the intake part of the filter which is what was slowing it down. The next morning after doing that is when I noticed his fin was looking shabby. I have since put the sponge back in and that slowed the filter flow down again. Prior to all this he was making bubble nests so I think he's a pretty happy guy normally. Today he is back to working on his bubble nest so hopefully that's a good sign for him.