Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-06-2008, 11:23 PM   #1 
Quartz

newbie betta enthusiast, a simple question

howdy everyone

i recently got my second betta today and i decided to read up on the little guys this time around and work on making Darwin (this is the new guy) the happiest fish around.

i dont know the amount, but he lives in a fairly large fish bowl, no heater (scold me if you will) and plastic plants. im unable to really afford live plants along with another new tank at the moment though. the current bowl does however have a lid and he has plenty of hiding spots, and isnever in direct sunlight (though he gets plenty of it indirectly)

the room i keep him in is always fairly warm, and the last fish (named Zorboz) lived about a year and half.

onto the question, is there anything i should do in the short term (keep in mind i cant make large purchases for a while) to keep him happy?
Quartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 06:21 AM   #2 
Flashygrrl

Not much you can do if you cannot afford to fix everything right away. Partial water change every other days is about all. Sounds like you know what you need, work on getting the heater first because Bettas need 78 and I doubt your house is kept that warm(a mini-heater is like $10 at some stores, they're flat and fit just about everywhere), then a new tank and filter next, and finally silk plants and maybe a floating one. All this stuff is relatively inexpensive unless you go to Petco and worth it for the peace of mind. Above all, something you should already have is dechlorinator and look into getting an API Liquid Testing Kit, don't even throw your money away on strips.
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 04:15 PM   #3 
Meatpuppet

and if you still wanna reseach, the general care sticky about bettas is a great souce of info.

http://www.fishforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=15392
plz feel free to ask if you still have questions
Meatpuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 05:37 PM   #4 
Quartz

only ten bucks? i can do that for sure!

and yes dechlorinator is a must have for me.

when it comes to tank care i wash it often and make sure the water has sat for atleast 12 hours.

thankyou!
Quartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 07:28 PM   #5 
okiemavis

Quartz, why don't you check out craigslist. I regularly see 10 gallon tanks with all the accessories for around $20, and sometimes for free. It's a great resource.
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote