Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-06-2013, 08:12 PM   #1 
Skyewillow

kids and fish!!!

One of the babies I just got from Aemaki somehow scraped off a big section of skin and scales, which is currently covered in fuzz, so I had to make up a 5 gallon bucket of medicated water to treat her for the next few days. I mixed this big bucket in the tub, and hauled it into the bedroom to hide it in the closet, and my punk headed 3 yr old decided that even though he KNOWS he's not allowed in the closet, to go into the closet and put his hands into the bucket!!!!! ._.

-headdesk- between the whole mess of them, I'm going to have a head of gray hair before I'm 26! ugh!
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:46 PM   #2 
Agent13
Reference Team

But your kids will learn... You tell them they can kill a pet by not listening to what you told them and really sound serious! then they learn. I let my kids help in a manner that will not hurt the fish (or other pets) and the have learned to do nothing that can harm what they themselves have put forth effort keeping healthy. they feel a sense of pride since they feel they have raised these guys so their welfare has become important to them. My son 8, daughter 4. Even let my daughter use the infra red temp gun to constantly keep track of silk worm eggs incubation for our dragon and she has learned to accept the cycle of life..lol (she successfully hatched 200 silk worms!) And respectfully cares for her Betta.
Agent13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:51 PM   #3 
Skyewillow

he respects the fish and the other animals, he loves to feed the rabbits when they live with us, and loves to feed the big frogs.

I just wish he'd stay out of the medicated fish water! lol
Old 05-07-2013, 03:35 AM   #4 
Agent13
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyewillow View Post
he respects the fish and the other animals, he loves to feed the rabbits when they live with us, and loves to feed the big frogs.

I just wish he'd stay out of the medicated fish water! lol
I get it! I'm sure with your boy a stern warning that it can hurt the fish and even him will probably do the trick. Kids and pets are tricky...but in the end a good lesson in responsible thinking for them. :)
Trust me.. as a single mother of a now 4yr old girl and an 8yr old boy(at the divorce..a preemie baby grl and a4yr old boy!) A pitbull, a bearded dragon(her foods which are 7 different types of live insects I care for), 11 fish and 3 frogs. I had to really teach them quickly or I'd lose a pet.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:22 AM   #5 
Skyewillow

omg, yea. Last year he would play with the net in the tank, and he ended up scooping out a female and dropping her on the carpet, I almost didn't find her!

He climbed up on some stuff to dump a full canister of cichlid pellets in my piranha's tank, and after the piranha was sold to keep her safe, he did it again to the goldfish!

now he's not as "helpful" and I'm sure the fish are all relieved! lol

he just loves his bunny though, even though she's half his size!
Old 05-07-2013, 04:16 PM   #6 
Agent13
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyewillow View Post
omg, yea. Last year he would play with the net in the tank, and he ended up scooping out a female and dropping her on the carpet, I almost didn't find her!

He climbed up on some stuff to dump a full canister of cichlid pellets in my piranha's tank, and after the piranha was sold to keep her safe, he did it again to the goldfish!

now he's not as "helpful" and I'm sure the fish are all relieved! lol

he just loves his bunny though, even though she's half his size!
Aww..A bunny? Sooo cute! Young kids give us a run for our money don't they..?? lol
Old 05-07-2013, 04:25 PM   #7 
Agent13
Reference Team

The bunny may be half his size but a bond to an animal is sweet. My dog is twice my daughters size but they are the closest of friends and forever bonded. They've been doing this since my daughter could sit on her own(or prop herself on the dog lol). Here is your daily dose of cute!
Old 05-07-2013, 04:28 PM   #8 
isochronism

Agent, that is a really sweet picture!!!! :)
There is nothing like the bond between a child and their dog!!!! :)

Last edited by isochronism; 05-07-2013 at 04:34 PM. Reason: addition
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote