Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-24-2013, 03:02 AM   #1 
mermaid77

Why do I do this to myself...?

I ran into Petco today to pick up some Tetra Safestart for Inuyasha's tank, only I got distracted by some people who came over to ooooh and aaahh over my little dog ( lol little diva that she is) and ended up picking up Tetra Bettasafe instead *facepalm* lol, but I digress...Anyway, as is my usual, I stopped over to ogle the bettas and I noticed a baby still there that I had seen the week prior while the worker was stocking the shelf with the 'fresh arrivals'....it's the cutest little thing, but in a sad state...the water was quite obviously never changed and filthy. Never one to want to set myself up for failure, I went against my better judgment of ever purchasing a baby betta and snatched the little guy or girl off the shelf.
I tested the water out of the cup and the ammonia level was at an alarming 4ppm...S/he is now in Inuyasha's 1.5g hand-me-down...but while I was still acclimating, I was excited to see the little thing immediately gobble up two crushed pellets...Once released in the tank I immediately noticed something was not right...S/he seemed to have trouble swimming, buoyancy issues...oh jeez, I think s/he has SBD...either as a result of my feeding such a teeney thing two pellets or, being so young, as a congenital disease...I hope it's not the latter...gonna fast him/her a day or two and pick up some epsom salt tomorrow....and feed only one pellet a day for the time being. Anyway, meet Peewee (temporary name lol),s/he doesn't look overly bloated to me, and s/he did have a bowel movement (silly fish tried to eat that too lol )...I don't know, wish me luck, hope the little thing makes it....God knows it wouldn't have lived much longer had I left the poor thing at the store...
Attached Images

mermaid77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:56 PM   #2 
bettabetter

That is one of the most beautiful babies I have ever seen *squeals*
s/he is going to be the most precious thing... I would never have been able to turn that one down either. sorry I can't really help much, sounds like you are doing everything right for SBD...
All i can do is wish you luck, and please post updates, I would love to see how that adorable little fry will turn out!
bettabetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:01 PM   #3 
xShainax

Look at those big eyes.
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:03 PM   #4 
Bombalurina

She is seriously adorable. I think the fact that she is so alert and willing to eat speaks well for her chances! :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:02 AM   #5 
mermaid77

Thanks all! :)))
UPDATE! Today s/he seems like a different fish!!! Zipping around the tank with no problems!So active! In light of that, I decided to withhold the salt treatment since it seems it was the two pellets (Omega One - quite large too as betta pellets go...) in one sitting that did it, and apparently, s/he must've passed them...Live and learn, my goodness tho, I wish it weren't at the price of a living thing's health :( Here I am wanting to rescue and I almost did him/her in myself!!!!
S/he had nothing to eat today and I was thinking of not feeding tomorrow either...though s/he does seem hungry. S/he's intent on trying to nibble those pellet like thingies at the tip of the thermometer and all the bubbles still floating around in the tank lol. Any suggestions? Should I lean on the side of caution and withhold food another day? I hate to deprive a little growing betta of the much needed nourishment...but I want to do what's best.

Still keeping my fingers crossed for this adorable but oh so delicate little cutie...I think it may turn out to be a female :) In which case I'll name her Destiny. If it's a male, Maximus - yes, after the gladiator! lol
Here s/he is today!
Attached Images

mermaid77 is offline   Reply With Quote