Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-24-2013, 11:39 AM   #1 
Lotte

Can these be used instead of gravel?

I think they are called water babies and they are little balls that expand in water.
Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:52 AM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Can you post a picture or a link? What were they made to do?
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:42 PM   #3 
Lotte

This is a picture I found off of google images on them.

Apparently, these can be used as a dirt substitute as plants, but other then that, I have no other information on them.
Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:02 PM   #4 
Stone

I believe they are made of jello- well geliten they might be safe and non-toxic they might not be depending on the dye used in them, but eventually they will break down and just sort of become a goo on the bottom of the tank
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:19 PM   #5 
Kithy

Oh, I remember that stuff. They used to sell bamboo with that in the bottom. It looks cool in clear vases but probably not great for bettas to be around since they're like the kittens of the sea. I'd stick with gravel, rocks, marbles or just nothing. Nothing is always an awesome option :3
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:57 PM   #6 
chirpchirp

I've got these for flower vases I got some of Ebay because they were super cheap and these are the problems you MAY encounter...
A... coloration of the water
B... absorption of tank water additives / treatments which who knows what may happen to be honest I don't know
C... When they split they break down and you will have them all through everything incl a choking hazard for fish
D... they sink but over time they start to float.

They look great in vases with flowers or just in a cool shaped clear vase / bottle but personally I definitely would not recommend for tank substrate

:)

Meg
Posted via Mobile Device
chirpchirp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:21 PM   #7 
louisvillelady

One other thing is with them being made of genitine, the bettas may decide to go munching on them. Not that bettas are fed that by any means, but that substance is a food additive, and who knows what a betta may think. My oppinion is, while it would be beautiful for a minute, the troubles from it is too much. If you try it though alet us know how it turns out.
louisvillelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:43 AM   #8 
Blue Fish

If you are looking for something with color like that, try glass marbles or the glass "beads" they sell in the silk plant sections of most stores. They will give you a similar look, but won't possibly hurt your fishies. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote