Betta Fish Forum banner

Frank is flaring!

730 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Neo 
#1 ·
My baby Frank keeps flaring at his heater! Usually he likes to swim around the heater and he kind of hangs out there but we just found him flaring anytime he went near it! The temp was at about 81 and we figured he might have been too warm so we turned it off. It's dropping slowly back down to 78, and he seems to be happier now. Is it normal for him to flare in the heat? Was he just stressed? What's the hottest it can go before he gets uncomfortable? Thanks!!

#3 ·
If he's flaring something is deffinitly bothering him, be it the heat or something else............maybe he wants to come and hang out with my superman..........but with dividers in the tank of course, lol

#4 ·
Lol, as soon as we turned the heat off he was better. Our heater keeps getting the water too warm, I had to get up in the middle of the night for the restroom and I checked it and it was 82 so I turned the heater off again. I thought the heater I bought was programmed for 78! How hot can the water get before it's dangerous to Frank?

I'm sure Superman and Frank would get some good exercise as tank buddies lol, I feel bad for his small tank and that he's not getting enough. We've decided we're going to buy all the stuff for a 10 gallon piece by piece each paycheck so that within a couple of months we can move him to a better home!

#6 ·
You might want to try giving him some darker colours for his tank, as bright colours only stress out fish, especially bettas. Place black paper around the sides of his tank, and try putting in some darker substrate.
Yeah, also with heaters, can't be too hot, nor too cold for a betta, try keeping it at 78 orite?

#7 ·
cms_star84 said:
Lol, as soon as we turned the heat off he was better. Our <span style="color:#3300FF;" onmouseover="return escape('A very important equipment used to regulate the temperature of the aquarium. It may or may not be included with a thermostat.')">heater</span> keeps getting the water too warm, I had to get up in the middle of the night for the restroom and I checked it and it was 82 so I turned the <span style="color:#3300FF;" onmouseover="return escape('A very important equipment used to regulate the temperature of the aquarium. It may or may not be included with a thermostat.')">heater</span> off again. I thought the <span style="color:#3300FF;" onmouseover="return escape('A very important equipment used to regulate the temperature of the aquarium. It may or may not be included with a thermostat.')">heater</span> I bought was programmed for 78! How hot can the water get before it's dangerous to Frank?

I'm sure Superman and Frank would get some good exercise as tank buddies lol, I feel bad for his small tank and that he's not getting enough. We've decided we're going to buy all the stuff for a 10 gallon piece by piece each paycheck so that within a couple of months we can move him to a better home!
I know what u mean about small tank. Superman is in a 2.5 but i got him a 10 gal today, gonna move him in i think, exercise indeed, lol, they'd flare so much they'd have strokes..... i think thats possible

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.