Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-24-2013, 02:30 PM   #1 
TeacherTeapot

Trying to find a lid

Hey Guys!

I bought Beau a new tank a couple of weeks ago, and I'm concerned because it's lidless. His current tank (which he's still in, as his temporary "roommates" are going into the new tank) has a hinged lid, which I love. The new tank is a 5 gallon, does anyone have a recommendation for a tank lid? I don't want a full hood, one of the wire mesh ones is something like what I have in my head. Something that will allow a lot of air movement, but keep him from jumping. (Not that he shows an inclination to do so unless I tease him with food)
TeacherTeapot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:59 PM   #2 
TeacherTeapot

Petsmart has these:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo

But would it be fish safe? And would it be alterable to go around my filter do you think?
Old 03-24-2013, 03:04 PM   #3 
Artemis

Yes they are fine. A lot of fish won't jump and if it does, unless the tank is filled it won't hit the lid anyway. If it does the only danger would be loose mesh wires.
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:31 PM   #4 
TeacherTeapot

Good, I'm glad that you don't think it will hurt my fishy friend. But considering that the frame is steel, do you think it would be alterable to fit around my Marina i25 internal filter? It took me the better part of 2 hours to alter the tank to make the rim clip fit.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:28 AM   #5 
jadaBlu

I use this one:

http://www.petco.com/product/107312/...eCat=LookAhead

The plus is that it keep in the desirable condensation. The minus is mine is a smidgen bigger than my 5 gallon Tetra tank. I could go to a glass cutter and get that fixed. Overall for the value I would suggest them.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:03 AM   #6 
Blue Fish

If you can't find a versa-top like what Jada suggested, you can also go to most hardware stores and they'll sell and cut plexiglass for you. It won't be hinged, but it should do the job of covering the top of the tank. :)

The problem with an open-lid tank, or a mesh-covered tank is that it doesn't hold heat as well, and it doesn't provide the humidity that helps their labyrinth organ when they come up for air. It's desirable to have a good solid top of the tank (or even just saran wrap stretched over the top with a gap so air can still flow in and out) to keep the humidity high at the water surface. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:42 AM   #7 
TeacherTeapot

I looked at those, but do they allow for air exchange? My current lid on the small tank has slits to allow air in, I don't want the air inside to be stale.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:34 PM   #8 
jadaBlu

Condensation is desirable it prevents water from evaporating and it does make difference in temperature. How much air you let in is up to you. The back part of the aqueon lid is plastic and is intended for you to be able to make cuts so that filters or other item can have access air will get in that way. You do want to protect against jumping. Some bettas are pretty wiley about getting out.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:58 PM   #9 
Matilda

I use eggcrate or plastic craft mesh on mine. The eggcrate cuts beautifully & the mesh comes in clear/translucent & black which I use for fish that appreciate a little less light. Perhaps not as polished a look but I like it very much.
Matilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:38 PM   #10 
Blue Fish

I hadn't thought about craft mesh...hmm...interesting idea! :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lid, tank lid