Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-24-2013, 03:42 PM   #1 
camille0119

How much water conditioner to use..

I just bought a different brand of water conditioner yesterday (Top Fin Water Conditioner) since my first bottle was running out (Nutrafin Betta Plus Tap Water Conditioner for Bettas). The Nutrafin was a small bottle, holding 60 ml. The instructions on it said that 1 capful is equal to 0.5 gallons. I have a temporary 1 gallon (saving up to get a bigger tank!), so I use 2 capfuls of that in my betta's tank. My betta acts normal and swims around.
Since I got a different brand of water conditioner, will that affect the way my betta acts? This bottle is the larger size, 16 fl oz. The question is, I don't know how much to put.
From reading the instructions on the back of the bottle, 10 US gal = 10 ml. The cap has measurements on it that read 1 ml, 5 ml, and 10 ml. Does that mean that I have to put 1 ml for my 1 gallon?
I'm just really unsure because my Nutrafin tells me to put in 2 caps, and this Top Fin conditioner only tells me to put 1 ml.
Sorry if this is a really weird question.. I'm just really confused and unsure. I'm planning to use the top fin conditioner on my next water change..
camille0119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:50 PM   #2 
bettabetter

I would do what the instructions tell me, some water conditioners are stronger than others an only need a little bit to work. I don't have this brand, but I would do what the instructions say :)
bettabetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:10 PM   #3 
pittipuppylove

If the instructions say 10mL/10gallons, then it'd be 1mL/1gallon - you shouldn't have to add more than that

I've never used either of these brands, but he shouldn't act any different when you switch conditioners, given that both of them do basically the same thing (Assuming that they're both designed to remove chlorine and chloramines as well as detoxify heavy metals).
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:13 PM   #4 
Bombalurina

Yep, 1 ml for one gallon. It will work the same way as your other one, essentially, so just follow the instructions. :) API Stresscoat is similar - 1ml per gallon. Prime, on the other hand, is 10 times as concentrated, so only needs 0.1ml per gallon (great value for money!).
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:20 PM   #5 
LittleBlueFishlets

I use the TopFin Water Conditioner, and it's 10 mL per 10 gal. This is the same as 1 mL per 1 gal.

If you don't have an easy way to measure it, 1 mL is about 20 drops. (Yes, I've measured it. LOL But just to play it safe, I always add an extra drop or two per gallon.) So you could also just add 20 drops per 1 gal (and maybe add an extra drop, for good measure).

Different brands can be more, or less, concentrated, so you always need to check the label for the dosing instructions.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:21 PM   #6 
camille0119

Thanks everyone! I just wasn't sure if 1ml was right, but now I understand haha. Thanks again - really helpful stuff :)
camille0119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:25 PM   #7 
LittleBlueFishlets

And we all had just about identical comments.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:07 AM   #8 
fish keeper 2013

Ummmmm... You guys are talking about top fin tap water dechlorinator right? Cause I have a 8 fl oz bottle and on the back it says 1 ml per 10 gallons. I wish it was 10ml per 10 gallon so I wouldn't have to painstakingly measure out .5ml.
Posted via Mobile Device
fish keeper 2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:25 AM   #9 
fish keeper 2013

Oh oops, I have top fin tap water dechlorinator, I just checked petsmart and they also have top fin dechlorinator (without the tap water) with different dosage amounts.

Sorry if I caused any confusion
Posted via Mobile Device
fish keeper 2013 is offline   Reply With Quote