Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-24-2013, 04:46 PM   #1 
bettabetter

Cool My classroom betta, Potassium

Another pretty casual chat thread
Anyway, My science and math teacher has had a tank in her classroom forever, but I know she doesn't care for them. There is no heater in the tank, and also it is quiet big (i think 20 gallons) there are lots of fish, and some I know for a fact can't even life together. the average fish lives about 2 weeks in that tank. So last Tuesday I went into class and looked at the fish like I always do everyday. The water was particularly grimy, as I know the teacher only cleans the tank about once every 2 months... But there was something that excited me. There was a betta in there! a gorgeous red and gold betta. That science class, the teacher talked about the fish (she loves to talk. about anything.) and told everyone how bettas fight when put together, and she told us how she found this out after she put to together and they killed each other.Then she told us that fish have a memory span of 3 seconds, which is false.
After class, I approached her and told her about my betta, and how the don't have a memory of 3 seconds, and how they need a heater and other things.
She doesn't even feed them, the janitor does whenever he comes (which means not on the weekends) and all there are is these huge flakes. the next day I saw a flake floating on the top of the tank, and all the smaller fish (3 neons, 5 guppies, and the betta) were trying to eat it, but they were all to small to eat it. I realized they were starving so I brought pellets of mine in the next day and they ate them right away. I now do this everyday.
I have also offered my recesses to clean the fish tank once a week, instead of once a month. things are starting to look better, I just need to convince the teacher to let me put a heater in there!
I have decided to name the fish potassium ("K" as a nickname). I hope he and the other fish live longer then so many other classroom fish before them.

(this pic was right after I did a water change, he looks a lot happier and brighter than normal also my camera decided to be friendly and take a good picture for once!)
bettabetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:05 PM   #2 
Bombalurina

Good on you for taking on his care! Hopefully your example will inspire your teacher to actually do some learning!
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:23 PM   #3 
percyfyshshelley

Good job! So glad that there are people like you in the world making life better for living creatures. There is a lot of scientific evidence that fish are smart, and we betta keepers know this already. Where did the teacher come up with the 3 second thing?
percyfyshshelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:54 PM   #4 
bettabetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by percyfyshshelley View Post
Good job! So glad that there are people like you in the world making life better for living creatures. There is a lot of scientific evidence that fish are smart, and we betta keepers know this already. Where did the teacher come up with the 3 second thing?
I have actually heard the 3 second thing all my life, and until I did some research on this sight, I believed it! there are tons of science teachers that will tell you that. It is just common myth
i tried looking up fish memory span, heres what I found: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_th...f_a_betta_fish

Last edited by bettabetter; 03-26-2013 at 04:01 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:19 PM   #5 
Skyewillow

Mythbusters busted that myth a looooooooooong time ago!
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:31 PM   #6 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Yea, because wiki answers is always correct...
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:52 PM   #7 
Bombalurina

Google R2 fish school. If a fish can learn all that, it doesn't have a memory span of 3 seconds, or even 10 seconds, or 20. Plus, it's fun to watch. ;) I'd get your teacher to watch it too!
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:49 PM   #8 
percyfyshshelley

My bettas certainly remember where I keep their food and what happens when I pick up their pellet jar.
percyfyshshelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:05 PM   #9 
bettabetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
Yea, because wiki answers is always correct...
I know! lol...
Old 03-26-2013, 06:07 PM   #10 
bettabetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
Google R2 fish school. If a fish can learn all that, it doesn't have a memory span of 3 seconds, or even 10 seconds, or 20. Plus, it's fun to watch. ;) I'd get your teacher to watch it too!
Yes, I have watched ALOT of videos about R2 fish school, even thinking of buying it, but i decided to try making the stuff myself, and mine now knows to swim through a homemade hoop and stuff. Instead of showing my teacher a video, I think i will try to train potassium to do the same, and then show her what her fish can do!

Tags
classroom, potassium, red and gold, tank