Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-24-2013, 07:12 PM   #1 
nel3

persistent fin rot

i do have AQ salt though ive gone about using it a bit differently. i did go with the full dose of 1sp/1g though it was damaging the fins of my VT and it seemed to burn their fins when properly disolved. ive been using it at 1/2 dose for the treatment to avoid damaging their fins.

i made this post BC my DT in the avy has fin rot often enough. i only use AQ salt when i know clean water doesnt do the trick. last bout required 1/2 dose treatment and it took 14 days to clear (8 days AQ salt, 4 without). he's been with finrot for some time, 3 weeks march 10-15 was 1tsp/g, february 22-28 was 1/2 tsp or less concentration of AQ.

the finrot goes in phases, some areas go black and rot and it shows no more black but the nest day more comes along and continues. he's been off AQ salt since march 15th and ive started to do 50% wc for him in order to try to make stable parameters (before only 100wc every 5 days). march 22 i did the 50wc for the DT. the rot is still there but its going to show again in the next 24hrs.

i have aq salt, Kordons ick, jungle fungus eliminator, api general cure and epsom salts. i dont have the top of the line meds BC Quebec is stuck in the dark ages with fish meds bc they ban the sale of products with the best healing chemicals. that meant no maryacyn and similar products. i'd have to order online or take a trip outside the province or to NY to buy in person.

can i use JFE to deal with the finrot or should i try general cure? he's in a 2.5g heated tank without a filter. this is the first time AQ salt didnt do the trick,

Last edited by nel3; 03-24-2013 at 07:14 PM.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:51 AM   #2 
nel3

bump

i seriously need some advice here its eaten through his dorsal fin and i fear it will reach his body. will any sort of medication help? the AQ salt doesnt do much for this particular fish.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:45 PM   #3 
Coppermoon

If he is not responding to clean water and salt, then the 3 meds I would recommend are: Triple Sulfa, Fungus Cure or Furan-2. Be sure and follow the directions and complete the med cycle of which ever you choose. Stopping the treatment as soon as you see results, RESULTS in med resistant bacteria. The good sign that I see is that the ends are red and raw...to me that says fin rot. IF he is in a small tank (5g or smaller), I'd treat the entire tank instead of moving him to a QT.

Good Luck :D

Lori
Coppermoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:05 PM   #4 
Sakura8

Hi nel3. Of the choices you have available, I would go with the Fungus Eliminator. I'm assuming it has acriflavine in it (hoping, anyway), which would be the closest to an antibiotic. The other meds will only have parasite medications.

Poor Nelliel. He looks like a totally different fish.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:18 PM   #5 
Coppermoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Hi nel3. Of the choices you have available, I would go with the Fungus Eliminator. I'm assuming it has acriflavine in it (hoping, anyway), which would be the closest to an antibiotic. The other meds will only have parasite medications.

Poor Nelliel. He looks like a totally different fish.
**Like** I couldn't remember Fungus Eliminator :)

API Fungus Cure: *Contains 22 mg of Neutroflavin per 5 ml (which is a form of Acriflavin, an effective anti-fungal)
Coppermoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:00 PM   #6 
nel3

thank you for the rplies, i dont think i can get api fungus cure on short notice, its probably on the black list. i'll go with the JFE. just how long should i go about the treatment? i did mention it rots a bit and clears up only to comeback. any timed results to look for any reoccurances?

when i get a chance to go to Plattsburg i'll get some grade A meds.

i got this from another site but it does mention 1 med i have on hand. i was asking about Jungle ick guard but my father couldnt find it in store (i couldnt head down there.)
Jungle Fungus Eliminator (crystals)
Active ingredients:
NaCl, Nitrofurazone, furazolidone, potassium dichromate.
Diseases: Columnaris, furunculosis, Costia, dropsy, fin and mouth rot, white film on eyes (usually cataracts and cloudy eyes), hemorrhage septicemia
Contraindications:
It is an effective treatment for fungal infections on bettas, however it can damage live plants.

Jungle Ick Guard
Active ingredients: .20% triethylene glycol, victoria green, nitromersol, acriflavine
Diseases: treats Ich (white spot)

Last edited by nel3; 03-25-2013 at 04:11 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:06 AM   #7 
Sakura8

Definitely use hte Fungus Eliminator. Nitrafurazone is an antibiotic.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:46 PM   #8 
nel3

ty very much, just started his treatment after a 100 wc. he's not water param shoicked (not yet anyway). i'll see how he behaves. is 1 week too long to treat him for this?
Old 03-26-2013, 06:01 PM   #9 
Sakura8

No a week should be appropriate. Good luck!
Old 03-27-2013, 07:49 PM   #10 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
No a week should be appropriate. Good luck!
ty very much. so far no visible regrowth sings or remission but im hoping for the best/.

his fins before this particular bout had both ventrals intact 60% more caudals and dorsal coverage and a full anal tail fin. there is signs some anal fin is dissapearing a bit but its looks white so i cant tell if its regrowth or loss.

which particular meds should i buy when i have the chance? im trying to find jungle anti parasite pellets, some maracyn products.