Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-09-2008, 08:27 AM   #1 
JMeenen

...so I went to petsmart

I went to petsmart to get supplies for my growing number of Bettas...and I was looking around for Betta type stuff..The tropical fish section was huge...the tanks looked really clean and I overheard the petsmart person telling a customer that thier water is changed automatically every so many hours...no bettas in sight..I went around the corner ..near the registers and there on a shelf..with the hermit crabs and all thier stuff was a most disturbing sight....aproximatly 50 cups of blue water with labels on the front..Male Betta/Female Betta....many of them already dead or dying floating on top or sunk helplessly at the bottom of thes cups with @ 200 mls of blue water ...!!!!! and The Betta Bowls. Real Nice..This is animal abuse at its best and believe me I work with an animal rescue organization and I have some real Horror Stories....These stores should not be allowed to sell these fish ...it would be better if they were just sold through breeder to people who really want them....and know how to care for them.....Sorry to Rant ..this pisses me off.
JMeenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:52 AM   #2 
graciegrapes

my petsmart

I just got my betta fish last night from petsmart. BUT to my surprise the betta fish were kept in little cubicle tanks with all the other fish tanks. This was the first time I had ever seen this, and I guess that's why I decided to get him from there.
The petsmart I went to is fairly new, so maybe it's a new thing the company is doing?
graciegrapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 11:37 AM   #3 
stephenmontero

yea the petsmart near me just opened and it has the same thing my betta was healthy and happy when i bought him from there. However, that is truely sick what is happening at your petsmart
stephenmontero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 02:16 PM   #4 
KingTriton

I'm sure you're also aware that they can be found in the same conditions at Walmart. I don't believe "pet stores" should be selling them, let alone a place like Walmart! They were on a back shelf amongst a bunch of tank ornaments. They water was blue. Most of the cups had old food and waste floating in it. Some were so cloudy that I could not tell if there was a fish inside or not. Several of the fish had fin rot, one's body was being eaten away, one had swim bladder, one was dead, and the rest were barely clinging to life.
KingTriton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 02:32 PM   #5 
KennyD

So here's a question for the experienced people on the forum (and one that's probably answered elsewhere). We know most pet store chains don't take proper care of their bettas, so where can we typically look to find a seller who does? And does it make much of a difference?
KennyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 02:32 PM   #6 
herefishy
Banned

These stores are under scrutiny at the present time. Many cannot sell their birds as they have been quarantined. Too bad local, state, and federal bureaucrats haven't taken notice and stepped in.
herefishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 02:41 PM   #7 
JMeenen

You can buy Bettas online from breeders ..there is many beauties to choose from.. I have had good luck ordering fish online.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:47 PM   #8 
KennyD

Really? How do they ship them? I'd be worried about something happening en route. Any good sites you'd recommend for that?
KennyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 03:01 PM   #9 
JMeenen

Go online to Bett4U,FantasticBetta orJ ust Bettas, and many more..go online to Betta Breeders there are many....Doctors Foster & Smith are very good but not much variety...they are very careful about shipping...they will find out when you are home and bring them then..they won't leave them at your door.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:47 PM   #10 
okiemavis

Aquabid.com is my favorite place to buy...well...anything.

I just bought 6 ABN's that arrived today, and the seller sent me 8 instead, all alive and expertly packed ($25.44 including shipping).

When you think about it, ordering a fish online isn't any different from how the bettas get to the fish store. They're shipped in insulated, padded boxes with heat packs for warmth.

If you want to order one, I'd recommend looking for a breeder in the states as opposed to in Asia, that way they'll arrive a LOT faster. No cross-world flights and sitting is customs. I always try to buy local bred fish whenever possible, no matter what kind.
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote