Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-22-2013, 08:13 PM   #1 
jadaBlu

So l I snuck and changed the water in 3 betta cups in the box store....

I would have changed more but I was watching my back. I got some water condition off the shelf which is part what I came there for. I was going to do just one but they left one of those things out that they put fish in before they bag them up. They also have a sink with water by the bettas with hot and cold water so I kept going. Peaple started coming around so I stopped and pretended to start looking. The security cameras must have seen me because "fish girl" came booking back to the department but I was I was looking at stuff. She looked at the fish and at me but walked away and didn't say anything. As was walking away she was talking into some device. Saying she 's not doing anything now we can't do anything unless she doesn't buy anything. (no kidding)

The bettas I changed had enough water plus a little (for a cup anyway) and were looking soo happy! There is aloe slime coat in the conditioner so I am sure that helped. I rinsed the container between fish. So hopefully they won't share diseases. Either way I picked the prettiest ones with the dirtiest cups so someone might buy them.

I noticed they had care sheet so I read it. Amazingly it generally had the proper care information. Saying while betta can live in small containers they do much better in aquariums and regardless of container they need clean water. Which was very important to their health. While a heater was not on the list of supplies it did say they are sensative to cold and temp changes. So before I left I opened care sheet up folded the top back and stuck it on the top shelf of bettas opened. It's right at eye level of the person that is supposed to be taking care of them. It won't probably won't help but I hope it was big hint. I have 5 right now. I have been forbidden to get another fish (already!) So I have lay off (for at least awhile) This was one thing I could to feel less rotten leaving them.
I'd do it again they are 24 hour store so I might have to do it late at night when no one is there. It's abandoned at night.

Last edited by jadaBlu; 03-22-2013 at 08:17 PM.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:17 PM   #2 
Fishybitty

I couldn't help but laugh. This is just awesome. I applaud you for being gutsy and doing this. I'm glad you didn't get caught! It isn't like you were doing anything really bad either.
Fishybitty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:19 PM   #3 
DragonFyre14

I've wanted to do this sometimes. I'm not quite brave enough to do it so bravo. You probably made those bettas really happy and I hope they are able to find good homes soon.
DragonFyre14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:22 PM   #4 
jadaBlu

I've been thinking about keeping an eyedropper sized bottle of water conditioner in my pocket when I go to these places it's the one thing that has stopped me before.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:34 PM   #5 
Melodica

My fiance and I changed the water in a cup that was just awful when we were in Petco. One did the change, the other was the lookout. Honestly, I would go in and change the water in the cups and care for their bettas for free if they'd just let me do it!
Melodica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:55 PM   #6 
quietlythundering

That's amazing! You're so awesome. I've been applying to pet stores recently, because I want so badly to be able to make their lives a little better. I've considered doing what you've done, but maybe asking them if they wouldn't mind if I helped. I imagine they might not appreciate that either though
quietlythundering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:04 PM   #7 
Meeples

You're doing what they SHOULD be doing. :D Bravo for having heart for these bettas! I bet if you told them what you were doing they couldn't say no either... how can they deny free labor?!
Meeples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:11 PM   #8 
quietlythundering

I don't know, some people can be REALLY sensetive about their jobs >< but it never hurts to ask!
quietlythundering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:15 PM   #9 
Artemis

I went to a store today where a betta had a cracked cup and had to lay on his side to be fully covered by water. We got him help. He got moved into a bag! Great right?!!!? Uck these places disgust me sometimes
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:17 PM   #10 
graciecny

jadaBlu, I think I love you! I have wanted to do the same thing SO many times!
graciecny is offline   Reply With Quote