Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-25-2013, 01:10 AM   #11 
Skyewillow

@Syr, I haz vishus gerd feesh!!! They protect the noms from Mike! It's hilarious to see Don Quixote go from neutral to FLARE, FLASH! as soon as he sees Mike coming. <3

@Bombalurina, we have that same problem in our 30 gal, Mike seems to be a hot commodity, one of our guppy girls was ferociously attacking the bubbles on his arm.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:19 AM   #12 
Syriiven

xD I love that DQ is doing SO much better!!
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:21 AM   #13 
Skyewillow

You and me both! He had me scared for a while there! Thankfully, Lillith's crush on Mike has made it so much easier for him to deal with losing Jade. They have such amusing personalities. Every single one is an individual, and I can't wait to see what my future babies will grow into!
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:23 AM   #14 
Syriiven

Eee~ I know that feel =D

I just can't wait to set ll my boys up on their betta shelf so they'll all have neighbours and won't be lonely. Maybe I should call it the betta condo.......
Old 03-25-2013, 01:31 AM   #15 
LittleBettaFish

Because I keep species that will fight but not usually do serious injury to each other, it is interesting to watch two bettas (particularly males) interact.

Bettas can be very subtle in how they communicate, particularly with how they convey aggression/dominance. Sometimes all it takes is a look or a certain way of positioning the body and the weaker of the fish will yield without it coming to blows.

I love watching one of my tanks that houses 20 males and 5 females. The males are almost always sparring or displaying to each other and there doesn't seem to be any real pecking order as sometimes three or more fish will be involved in an incident.

I think the more you sit and actually watch your fish, the more you learn about them. Bettas are one of my favourite fish to own simply because they do seem to have much more complex behaviours and personalities than a lot of other fish.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:34 AM   #16 
Syriiven

Exactly!

I would really love to have a species that can be housed together (would certainly make my life easier) - but to see what their actual community is like.

There aren't many species of wild betta that can co-exist like this though, is there?
Old 03-25-2013, 01:35 AM   #17 
LittleBettaFish

Like almost every wild betta species can live together in pairs and most can live together in groups. It's only really the domesticated splendens that can't.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:40 AM   #18 
Syriiven

I wonder why that is...I mean if it's an instinctual trait, then why when bred into prettier fish would the ability to co-habitate seem to almost vanish? Is it because of the males becoming just so much more vibrant?
Old 03-25-2013, 01:47 AM   #19 
LittleBettaFish

I think it's because splendens were originally selected for aggression, and this has been compounded over the years until you end up with fish that are much more aggressive than those found in the wild.

I believe that not showing appropriate aggression is considered a fault in show fish so I believe this is why the trait has been retained for so long.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:49 AM   #20 
Syriiven

Ahh, okay. I thought splendens were bred for looks, not agression - but then again there's a lot more research I need to do on the history of breeding betta.