Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-23-2013, 04:29 AM   #1 
bannlow2471

Set my mind at ease (or tell me if I should worry)

Good morning! Last night I posted in the baby Betta thread and at that point all seemed to be going well. Baby had been acclimated to new tank over a period of about two hours, which I know is a lot longer than the usual 45 minutes or so but I was a chicken and wanted to do it super slowly. Anyway, I went to bed last night around eleven thirty and woke up just about ten minutes ago around 5 am to let my dogs out and couldn't resist checking on the little one. Ever try to find an inch long fish with sleepy 40 year old eyes at 5 am? Well neither have I until now but I am here to tell you ... It isn't easy! I did locate him/her finally near the surface and he/she SEEMS ok but I admit does not seem as peppy as last night. Then I checked the thermometer and the temp in the tank is around 85. Is that too warm? I know it's higher than optimum but then again this is a baby. So is that ok? I panicked and yanked the heater (Aqueon 10w mini submersible that says it is for this size tank which is 2.5 gallons). But should I put it back in? I was planning on being home most of the day and I can monitor the temp and try to remove or replace the heater to keep the temp stable. I can, although I hadn't planned on it, stay home all weekend to do this. But on Monday I have to go to work and what then? Os there another heater that you all recommend? Any advice? Baby is nibbling some crushed Bettamin flakes and seems ok right now.
bannlow2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:44 AM   #2 
Stone

that temp is in acceptable range but personally I tend to keep my betta tanks around 80, the higher temps will promote algae and bacteria growth so keep that in mind, as far as him not being as active, remember this is all new to him he was first in a large tank with all his siblings and daddy, then one dad daddy was gone, then some of his siblings were gone, then he was put in a small cup and took a dark ride to be put in a store and well now he is in a big new tank, when you think about it these fish go through a lot before we are even able to buy them, as for a heater for a small tank I use one fo those preset tetra heaters the smallest one it works fine, I dont trust those little ones sold in the betta sections be it they are just always on I believe I may be totally wrong in this, but I do not gamble on things until I know forsure
Stone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:56 AM   #3 
bannlow2471

Thank you, Stone. I think I will try to go and get a different heater today. Can you let me know, if you can, the exact name of the heater you suggest?

And yes, good point, I know this little guy has already been through a great deal. I was just trying to compare this morning with last night and it seemed he/she was maybe not as active as last night and that with the warmer water concerned me.

Thanks again for your response!
Old 03-23-2013, 07:41 AM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

I have a small female in a 5g QT tank at the moment & I can relate to the over 40 eyes early in the morning trying to find a small Betta in a tank. I have an Aqueon adjustable 50W in my 2.5g tank.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:07 AM   #5 
JBonez423

I would keep the heater in until you can get a new one. Extreme temp fluctuations aren't good for anyone, especially a baby. As for worrying about them being active, don't worry, mine weren't very active the first couple weeks. Elvis is currently floating around the surface, looking at himself occasionally. They're boring. =P But I'm pretty sure it's normal because I was watching videos on youtube of fry around 4/5 weeks and they really don't seem to move much, unless they're eating lol.
JBonez423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:10 AM   #6 
JBonez423

Also, this heater has gotten awesome reviews and is the one I'm planning on getting because it's really good for smaller bowls/tanks. http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-7-5w-Heater-Bettas-Bowls/dp/B006JVQ67K/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1364044126&sr=8-13&keywords=aquarium+heater
Old 03-23-2013, 08:28 AM   #7 
bannlow2471

Thanks everyone! Just to update everyone, the baby is looking a bit better. I did put the heater back in and I am monitoring the temp. If need be I will unplug for a short time if it seems to be getting too warm. In a little while I going out to see if I can find one of the adjustable heaters that have been recommended. Now that he/she is awake the behavior is more what was being exhibited last night ... IE some swimming about (amazing to me how rapidly those infinitesimal little fins move) interspersed with some lounging about. Thanks again for all your suggestions and guidance.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:44 PM   #8 
Fishy Mom

Your baby may have been too sleepy at 5 am since his behavior is back to normal. I'd recommend offering him a cup of coffee first, lol.

On a serious note, I'm glad you're able to get the heater situation fixed right away.
Fishy Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:53 PM   #9 
bannlow2471

LOL! Thanks, Fishy Mom! I know I sure function better with a little caffeine!
Old 03-25-2013, 09:37 AM   #10 
JBonez423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy Mom View Post
Your baby may have been too sleepy at 5 am since his behavior is back to normal. I'd recommend offering him a cup of coffee first, lol.

On a serious note, I'm glad you're able to get the heater situation fixed right away.
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA omg you have no idea how hard that made me laugh... I'm picturing pouring a nice hot cup of coffee into the fish tank. xD Coffee bath!!! If I were a fish, I'd quite enjoy that every morning. ;D