Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-24-2013, 09:54 PM   #1 
LouiMon

Reflection issue...

Walter has just discovered that he can see his reflection if he swims in front of the filter and he's been spending much of his time flaring at it... Should I be doing something about it or will he get bored and leave it alone?

He looks spectacular, but I don't want him stressing himself out.
LouiMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:50 AM   #2 
Blue Fish

One of my guys did that. I've heard that they can stress out over it, so I let him do it for a couple of hours every day, then stuck a sheet of white paper between the tank and the back of the filter so he couldn't see his reflection in it. That allowed him to "play" with it, but also made sure that he wasn't exhausting himself. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:59 AM   #3 
Kithy

Mine did that. After his snail friend died he tore his fins apart. He kept flaring at the back so I made it so he couldn't. He kept tearing his fins apart though... he was bored. So I let him see his reflection again and now he's happy!
Kithy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:00 AM   #4 
Hadoken Kitty

If he hasn't been in his tank for very long, then he will get used to it eventually. It won't be a big deal. I have two bettas that are in a divided 10 gallon. They can see each other through plants, but don't flare 24/7. I also have two males that have tanks next to each other, but I do need to keep a white sheet between those two. For some reason those two are very territorial. I guess what I'm saying, is if he isn't doing it alll the time, don't sweat it.
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:15 AM   #5 
Kithy

All things in moderation. See if he does it a lot or not. Flaring is good for them sometimes, just not excessively.
Kithy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:17 AM   #6 
JBonez423

Does he flare all the time? My guys will flare for a little while and do their dance, and then go back to whatever they're doing. They flare at least once and hour, but I don't believe they're stressed or anything. When my brother's fish was too stressed, she just stayed at the bottom and showed her stripes, wouldn't eat, etc. so I figured as long as they weren't doing that, they're pretty happy. As long as he's not hurting himself flaring, I think he should be ok.

Wish we could just ask them and find out! =P
JBonez423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:21 AM   #7 
waterdog

He will get tired of it and quit.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:37 AM   #8 
tekkguy

I agree with everyone saying he will get tired of it, but also have a suggestion. You could put some plants (real or fake, to your preference) along that area to break up the reflective area. It will also help to baffle your filter if necessary.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote