Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-01-2013, 02:40 PM   #1 
Xaltd1

What is PP?

I've read that betta owners should have "PP" on hand, but that's the last time I've heard anything about it. I've learned that "PP" is Potassium Permangate, but that doesn't answer the question! I haven't seen it for sale in the LFS, and I've never seen any instruction on what it's used for & how to use it.
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:48 PM   #2 
sainthogan

I'm not sure what it is, and I've never hear that Betta owners should have it. I have heard, however, that Betta owners should have aquarium salt on hand just in case.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:49 PM   #3 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

It's a chemical (duh) that is considered fairly safe and is used to sanitize plants. I believe it is fish safe but don't quote me.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:52 PM   #4 
LittleBettaFish

I think people also use it as a bath/treatment for various ailments. I've never had any use for it, so really I think it's a stretch that all betta owners should have it on hand.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:53 PM   #5 
tekkguy

PP is used to treat certain parasitic conditions like ick and velvet that are external.

It is also a good disinfectant for new plants, decorations previously used in a tank, etc, to ensure that bad bio isn't being imported into the tank.

It is fairly nasty to use, and takes some reading to get to know it, because it's not really dosed like a "normal" medication. It can also stain just about anything it touches!
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:55 PM   #6 
Xaltd1

Things to keep on hand at all times
•Extra nets and 1 gallon containers
•Aquarium Salt (Aq.Salt)
•Epsom Salt (ES)
•Potassium Permanganate (PP)
•Quarantine tank (QT)

This is a quote from a sticky on the "Betta Diseases & Emergencies" board. I have all but the PP, and it makes me nervous. I can send a message to the OP, if s/he is still an active member.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:57 PM   #7 
Jexx

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkguy View Post
PP is used to treat certain parasitic conditions like ick and velvet that are external.

It is also a good disinfectant for new plants, decorations previously used in a tank, etc, to ensure that bad bio isn't being imported into the tank.

It is fairly nasty to use, and takes some reading to get to know it, because it's not really dosed like a "normal" medication. It can also stain just about anything it touches!
It is also quite useful in treating internal parasites and bacterial infections and open sores.
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:58 PM   #8 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

To say that it is required is a bi stress. I have been fish keeping for a long time now and I've never needed it,
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:59 PM   #9 
Xaltd1

My next question was: what should I use to sanitize my tanks/filters/decor for storage?
I consolodated my fish into "only" 3 tanks (down from 6). One of the tanks is a 10-gallon that I used as a spawn tank, but the spawn failed. I pretty much decidded to soak it with a few drops of bleach (which destroys everyhting it touches, too).
Old 04-01-2013, 04:00 PM   #10 
Jexx

PP is generally only used as a last resort treatment I believe. Many people prefer to try more natural treatments such as aq salt, epsom salts, banana leaf extract, IAL etc. Generally it is best to try natural treatment first and then move on to medications if the natural way does not work.
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote