Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-24-2013, 11:43 PM   #1 
jadaBlu

Can females get so "eggy" they have trouble swimming?

My female every few days gets very swollen her abdomen looks whitish she has trouble swimming she is can't swim easily to the bottom she kind of just floats back up and she gets a little off balance. So she gets herself balanced on some floating plants and only swims every so often in this state. I am not overfeeding her she gets at best two to three pellets a day(divided between morning, afternoon and night) So I don't she has swim bladder problem. She is small abiet growing pretty fast in just the two weeks I've had her. Do females get so eggy swimming is harder?

I should mention. She has occasional sight of a male I let them see each other a couple hours a day( in separate tanks) but there is a piece of cardboard blocking most of their view of each other they have to make a special effort to swim over to see a few inches of each other. I have no plans to breed. I was going to put them in a divided tank next to each other. Thus the occasional exposure. I am now thinking that maybe she shouldn't see males at all if it's going swell her so much she can't swim properly. Will moving her make a difference?
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:26 PM   #2 
lvandert

How much do you feed her? "Every few days" sounds more like a bloat problem.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:55 AM   #3 
jadaBlu

My female is doing better. I have made sure she can't even glimpse the male which has helped. I also have limited her food to the smallest pellets I have. I will have to find another food for her so she gets variety.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:00 AM   #4 
GoodMorning

yes, keep the male away.
GoodMorning is offline   Reply With Quote