Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-25-2013, 12:55 AM   #1 
kyle89

crowntails tail ”splitting" is this normal

So I have noticed squrits tail is "splitting" or "fraying" on the ends. Is this normal? Its not a great pic but he is a little stressed. We got rear ended on our voyage home from my girlfriends house.
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:14 AM   #2 
shamu13

hmmm, probably not normal. I can't tell if its rot or just tears... but one of my fish used to regularly split his fins on this piece of decor he had, or when we did a water change and he panicked too much in the net...it wasn't a big deal, really. Just keep the water warm at around 78F, clean, and keep up with the feedings. It should heal in time. You shouldn't need any additional treatment...keep an eye out for rot. It will look more tattered rather than a clean split. My fish healed in a matter of days, but recently he had a split thats taken a few weeks to heal completely. Also check to see if his decor is safe. sorry to hear about the car accident, hope everything is well. good luck!
shamu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:17 AM   #3 
kyle89

His water is kept at a constant 80 degrees and is feed twice 6 days a week and has a fast day. The only decor is squidwards house. Everything else is real plants. I didn't think it looked like fin rot. I have dealt with that before. He is still happy and swimming about. Just need a few more live plants that where lost in the accident
Old 03-25-2013, 03:27 AM   #4 
caissacrowntails

kyle, it's "common", crowntails are notorious for being "hard to keep", because their rays are very "fragile". curling, bended, splitting, broken. It will takes "extra effort" to keep and maintain the form of a "show class" crowntail than, say, HMPK.
caissacrowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:33 AM   #5 
kyle89

I figured it was. I just wanted to make sure the lil guy was OK. Thanks
Old 03-25-2013, 05:35 AM   #6 
VJM

Maybe I am too paranoid about aquarium decor, but what do you think about taking Squidward's house out for awhile? It seems like decor can be fine, and then start rusting or leeching chemicals after being in contact with water for a period of time.

He looks healthy and happy and beautiful, but I always give decor the side eye. The folks who manufacture that stuff just do not seem to care if it kills fish.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:29 AM   #7 
caissacrowntails

I never used any "decorations" like gravels, plastic plants etc. only used live plants with soft leaves like Java moss for example. The reason is cos some types of gravels ( for examples limestones, corals ) can actually change the water's PH or hardness, plus if there are any rough or sharp surfaces on the gravel, might be dangerous for the fish. And like VJM said, I think we never know for sure what kind of materials they're using to produce the decorations.
caissacrowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:08 AM   #8 
JBonez423

Grandma's crowntail gets that from time to time. He's a feisty little bugger and likes going through his plants a lot, so I figured it was just because of that. During the accident, he could have been thrown awkwardly against the side of the cup and squished his fins.
JBonez423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:19 AM   #9 
waterdog

The guy in my avatar gets the curled tail thing (which is all you have) cause he likes to rest on the bottom. It's no big deal.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote