Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-25-2013, 03:58 AM   #1 
SharkyTheBetta

Betta rescue story + name needed

I went yesterday to a new pet store from my city to see what kind of products they sell. Of course I couldn't resist not to have a look at their fish, as being for the first time in this store. In one corner I've spotted some bowls which seemed to be empty. I've got closer and, to my surprise, there was a CT betta in one of them, looking extremly sad. The bowl was very small, about 0.5gal and water was dirty and cloudy. His color was very dull/gray and he wasn't moving at all. At the beginning I thought he was dead. I tried to capture his attention and he moved his sad eyes, looking at me, like he was asking for help... :( Then I've notice some small gill movements... My heart was broken... I asked my husband “How is possible to keep him in such dirty water and with no heater??! Poor fish.... Don't they see that he's suffering and that he's going to die in a very short period of time?” In the next moment, a girl who worked there came to me and asked me if I need anything (she heard me)... And I told her “Yes, I would need you to move this betta in a heated tank, for example in this one with xipho... they will get each other pretty well. He's very cold here, being next to the exit door.” (Outside air temperature was about 28 F, I don't want to imagine which was his water temperature). The girl got angry and told me “His ok there. Bettas live in bowls”. I replied they don't, unfortunately and kindly asked her again to move him because he was suffering there. She said “I won't, because bettas live in bowls, trust me”. I added: “No, I don't trust you, because bettas are tropical fish originally from Thailand. Is it so difficult to move him in a heated tank, like for the other fish?!” She became even more irritated. I've added “For how long is he staying here and which was his initial color?”. She said that he was always colored like that and I replied I don't believe her... I couldn't let the fish there... So I bought him, hoping he will resist till home and during acclimatization process. She didn't want to make and discount. In her opinion the fish was perfectly healthy. Imagine that she even tried to sell me a bowl for him... How rude! I told her I would not put him in a bowl, not even in a nightmare and that he would live happy in heated 15 gal tank from now on.

So I bought him. While I was on my way home, inside the car the temperature was very warm and I also wrapped him in my jacket to warm him a little bit more. After some minutes, I looked at him to see how he was doing and I was amazed when I saw that he started slowly to move his fins and that they were becoming a pale red. After I arrived home, I slowly acclimated him and this is how he looks now. Too bad I didn't take a photo at the store.

I am going to make a complaint today at the owner of the pet store about how is possible that a biggest pet store, well known in the entire country and with a good reputation, to keep their bettas in such bad conditions and especially during the winter. Their main competitor on the market is providing separated boxes for each of them, inside one big heated tank. Bettas deserve good life conditions like any other pet. I hope my complaint will be listened.

Now I need a name for him so feel free to give me some suggestions.
Attached Images

SharkyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:55 AM   #2 
Sea Dragon

The employee sounded very disrespectful, I would also suggest telling them to train their employees better! :P

I dont have a name but congrats on rescuing the pretty little boy :)
Sea Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:04 AM   #3 
SharkyTheBetta

Thanks. :) Today he is looking even better. I'll add a new photo soon.
I was thinking about Chance or Fighter because he was a really strong fish to survive in those horrible conditions, but I am not decided yet because both names seem to be too classic and I would like something different... but I have no idea for the moment.
SharkyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:30 AM   #4 
motherpeters

How about Phoenix? Sort of an up from the ashes type of thing? He looks like he's turning out to be lovely!
motherpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:32 AM   #5 
waterdog

It's so sad this is the normal for pet stores rather than a bad exception. I often wonder why people listen to pet store employees when it is so easy to get on the net and find out the real truths. Saying bettas live in bowls that they are transported in is like saying all fish live in bags cause that's the way they recieve them. All we can do is keep spreading the word and hope people listen. Just so sad that there are still fish out there that will still suffer and die in the mean time!
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:08 AM   #6 
Otterfun

Wow great rescue. As for the employee, I'd file a complaint and would not patron the store again.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:38 AM   #7 
Tabbie82

Aw, I am glad you took him home. He looks like he is going to gorgeous once he is completely healthy. It is horrible that they would have him in such terrible conditions! I would definitely complain. I like the name suggested by motherpeters- Phoenix.
Tabbie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:03 AM   #8 
crowntaillove3

Awesome job for rescuing this little guy! My local petsmart has the aquatics section right by the main door, and people come in and out all the time. Our winters can go in the single digits and sometimes the negatives! I wish I could buy all of them, but my room is small and I don't have enough tanks. Besides, getting my mother to approve would be impossible. Nice job for rescuing him! As for his name... I like the whole 'Chance, Fighter, Phoenix' thing.
crowntaillove3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:50 PM   #9 
Crowntails

I love the name Phoenix too!
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:06 PM   #10 
rmarkham

He's very pretty, and I'm glad he'll have an awesome home for now on!

I'm looking forward to more pictures.

No idea what you could name him though..
rmarkham is offline   Reply With Quote