Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-25-2013, 06:32 PM   #11 
Julio1983

hmmm lowering the water is a good idea...

i dont think ill be able to transport him anywhere as there is no where close by where we can take him while the house is being sprayed!!
I know with our cat at my parents house, they just let him out of the house and put his bowls etc in a cupboard when its being sprayed and he is fine to return after the 4 hrs...

while i also have everyones attention, we will probably be painting the house too at some stage... so same deal? cover the tank?
or is painting ok?
the house paints now are pretty much odourless
Julio1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:12 PM   #12 
LittleBlueFishlets

Is there anyplace inside the house that won't be sprayed? If so, that would be the safest area for him.

As recommended, put plastic wrap over the tank. If the sides don't adhere well, you can tape them down. As long as there's some air in the tank (which there will be because you're lowering the water level), he'll be fine. While they breathe air, they're so tiny that they don't use a lot of it quickly!

How long do you need to be out of the house?

And yes, I'd do the same thing while painting. Even though paints are odorless, there are still fumes produced. I wouldn't want them entering the water. Better to take the same precautions.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:03 PM   #13 
Julio1983

no not really, we have a really bad roach problem so they will be spraying in and out.

we need to be out for 4 hrs. i was planning on doing a 100% water change when we got back in..

if im lowering the water i will need to take the heater out, he will be ok for a few hrs without right? he will have a towel over the tank and all

thanks so much for your help :)
Old 03-25-2013, 10:30 PM   #14 
LittleBlueFishlets

How big is the tank, and what's the temp in the house?
Old 03-25-2013, 10:54 PM   #15 
Julio1983

his tank is 15 litres and the temp is around 24?

Anyway, i just spoke to the pest control ppl, and they have advised that i remove him, so i dont know where im going to go yet, but i think it would be safer.

I have a 1 litre tank that i can put him in with a heater for a few hours.

Can i just take some of his current water and put it in the smaller tank or do i have to acclimate him again?
Old 03-25-2013, 11:13 PM   #16 
LittleBlueFishlets

Do you know what they're using to spray?

I think removing him from the house is a good idea. If he's not in the house, it'll be safer for him, and you'll have better piece of mind. A lot of pesticides are toxic to fish.

You could:
  1. Fill his 1L tank with his current water. Put him in there. (That way, there's no acclimation needed.)
  2. Make sure his big tank is well covered. Plastic wrap, lid, etc.
  3. Take him someplace safe.
  4. When you return, do a 100% water change in his big tank. (I think it's not filtered?) Make sure to rinse everything REALLY well. You want to make sure there's no residue pesticides anywhere. Remove any porous decorations, and let them soak awhile in plain water.
  5. Acclimate him into the new water.
  6. Add the porous decorations back in after they've soaked awhile.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:21 PM   #17 
Julio1983

no idea, but they did say that if any gets in there it would probably kill him! :(

i think ill take him to my inlaws they are probably the closest!

no, his tank is not filtered... i might take everything out and put them in a plastic bag and take that to the inlaws too!!! hell maybe ill take the whole bloody tank there just in case hahahaha im paranoid!
Old 03-25-2013, 11:31 PM   #18 
LittleBlueFishlets

YES, if you can remove both him (in the QT tank), and the entire tank (emptied), that's what I'd do.

Put him in the 1L, and transport him that way.
Empty the larger tank, and leave it in your car for the duration.

Here's an example of a common cockroach pesticide, called Demon EC:
  • Active Ingredient(%): Cypermethrin Technical (25.3%)
  • Highly toxic to fish and invertebrates. Practically non-toxic to birds and bees.
  • Invertebrates (Water Flea) LC50/EC50 0.00125 ppm
  • Fish (Trout) LC50/EC50 0.00092 ppm
  • Fish (Bluegill) LC50/EC50 0.0018 ppm
  • Environmental Fate: Not persistent in soil or water. Immobile in soil. Sinks in water (after 24 h).

LC50 means "lethal concentration required to kill 50% of the population" during a given time (usually 4 hours). So exposure to even a TINY bit is capable of killing fish. I'm paranoid, and my motto is better safe than sorry. So if you have a way to move EVERYTHING fish related outside for the duration, that's what I'd do.

When you return.... What's the weather like there? If it's not too hot/cold, ask the pest control ppl if it's OK to leave the windows open awhile to ventilate the premises. If they say it is, I'd do this.

How bad is the roach problem? In the future, maybe look into ways to get rid of them that don't involve spraying?

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 03-25-2013 at 11:39 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:38 PM   #19 
Julio1983

no i think ill move everything that way my mind is at ease.

the weather is mid 20's here at the moment, so not too cold yet and not too hot anymore.
it will be fine to keep the windows open.

The roaches are pretty bad, thats why we have decided to get the house sprayed. Hopefully its a one time thing and we dont have to do it again.
If we do and it means uprooting him so be it!
Need to protect my fishy!
Old 03-26-2013, 12:05 AM   #20 
ZubinBetta

One more thing: When you return to the house and are preparing your betta's tank, you may wish to clean any residue of the pesticide off the sink fixtures before handling them in order to refill his tank, so as not to get residue in the tank. It's probably also a good idea to run the faucet a while before filling the tank, for the same reason.
ZubinBetta is offline   Reply With Quote