Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-25-2013, 09:55 AM   #1 
RillC

Need advice for fin rot issue

I've been trying to fight the fin rot in my veiltail Psusennes' anal fin for a month now. I think I've gotten some handle on the major tank issues that have come up, but he is still losing fin and has become a bit twitchy and lethargic over the weekend.

He is one of 2 bettas in a divided 5.5 gallon tank with a Whisper 10i filter and 25W heater, both of which are on his side of the tank. The other betta Ramesses is a bit lethargic as well, but he was never as active as Psusennes so this is less concerning.

Water temperature is steady at 80 and all water changes are safely within 2 degrees of that. I have had the water tested at the local fish store twice the last month. The first test apparently did not have enough water to test ammonia, but the carbonates were apparently off the chart; this is very odd since the local tap water I use is less than 10ppm. This was resolved by the next test a week later. I spent that week doing small 10% changes every second day after working a dose of aq salt into the tank over the course of several hours and changing the filter media. More aq salt was added as needed during those changes

On the second test, carbonates were back below 10ppm, pH was around 6 as it had been before, but ammonia was at 4.9 so I was very worried. I couldn't think of the source as there are only the 2 fish in this bare bottomed tank with only plastic plants and river rocks. I finally think I found the source though: the current from the filter was too strong so I had a sponge placed there as a baffle. I thought there might have been some of my beneficial bacteria living in there so I forgot to rinse it regularly. I did so on Saturday, using water treated with Stress Coat so that I wouldn't kill off any beneficial bacteria (my water conditioner) and it took 3 jugs of water to finally get all the gunk out. I was quite horrified to realize this, especially since the poor boy lives on the side where water was coming out past that. No wonder he got sick!

I'm planning to do another 20% change tonight minimum, but I would definitely appreciate any advice on the matter. I usually change 30-50% per week with Stress Coat. My boys are fed 2-3 pellets in the morning and 3 pellets in the evening, except for their weekly fast day. The ill boy has been with me for about a year and a half and, outside of some tail biting, this is the first time he has been sick.
RillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:00 AM   #2 
tekkguy

First, stop using aquarium salt. It irritates the scales, and can actually cause more rot to occur. You should do a 100% water change to get rid of the aquarium salt. If you want to stimulate the slime coat, Stress Coat is good for that.

All you need to help his fins grow back (since it doesn't sound like there's really any rotting going on), is warm, clean water and time. Keep an eye on that filter. If it's not baffled well, his fins will continue to tear. Hopefully they were only tearing because of the filter and not any actual rot!

Do you have your own test kit? The API kit is on Amazon for under $20 - testing your own water is always faster and not very expensive.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:02 AM   #3 
tekkguy

I re-read your post and obviously missed something ... I thought you said the fin loss was caused by an un-baffled filter.

Do you notice any black around the edges of his fins where they are becoming shorter?

And while we're at it, can you answer these questions?

Last edited by tekkguy; 03-25-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:11 AM   #4 
RillC

Can't really do a 100% change in a filtered tank with an established beneficial bacteria population without really messing up the water chemistry. Aquarium salt is a listed treatment in the sticky thread in this section of the forum under the treatment of fin rot. The edges of his fin are red and ragged, gradually getting shorter with small sections looking like they are turning to red puffs before sloughing off.

As he has been a tail biter and did once tear his tail fin in the current before I baffled the filter, I am familiar with what torn fins look like and this is definitely not it.

The filter is baffled with a sponge that is effective in slowing the current enough for him to be happy, but as it had not been cleaned in some time, I think it may be part of the reason why the ammonia was so high as it may have contained decaying organic material from generations of beneficial bacteria. As one generation died, it would have decayed.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:21 AM   #5 
tekkguy

You can do a 100% water change if necessary, or as close as possible to 100%, by performing 25-50% changes over the course of a week or so. How long have you been adding AQ salt to the tank? I ask because you have been exposing both fish to the salt, and it is unhealthy for extended periods. If it is not helping, it should be removed from the water.

Is it possible for you to treat him in a separate hospital tank so that the other fish is not exposed to any medications? You may at this point need to start him on a course of something like tetracycline.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:34 AM   #6 
RillC

I do have a quarantine tank, but it is only a 1/2 gallon and would not have heating/ filtration possible. Based on what conditions were like before they got the current tank, temperature would not get higher than 70. The quarantine tank will not float in the 5.5 and I don't have anything suitable that would float, so maintaining a safe temp would be very difficult. Aq salt was added as 1 tablespoon initially, a few grains at a time over about 10 hours to avoid changing things too fast. I was aiming at a mild tonic level. Additional salt was added on every second 10% water change so that the level would not build up to a problematic level. Ramesses was displaying some hint of illness as well at the start, with some white puffs on his head and a reduced interest in food so it made sense to treat the tank. He has since cleared up from the spots and has regained some of his appetite. He will have spent 2 years with me as of the 29th.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:40 AM   #7 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RillC View Post
Can't really do a 100% change in a filtered tank with an established beneficial bacteria population without really messing up the water chemistry. Aquarium salt is a listed treatment in the sticky thread in this section of the forum under the treatment of fin rot. The edges of his fin are red and ragged, gradually getting shorter with small sections looking like they are turning to red puffs before sloughing off.

As he has been a tail biter and did once tear his tail fin in the current before I baffled the filter, I am familiar with what torn fins look like and this is definitely not it.

The filter is baffled with a sponge that is effective in slowing the current enough for him to be happy, but as it had not been cleaned in some time, I think it may be part of the reason why the ammonia was so high as it may have contained decaying organic material from generations of beneficial bacteria. As one generation died, it would have decayed.
The description "edges of his fin are red and ragged" you have here does not sound like fin rot to me. I'm currently dealing with fin rot on my VT male & it is the classic black edge on his talil fin & it is not ragged. As for the sponge not being rinsed out (which should be in used tank water) I don't think that would be your source of ammonia since it would have an abundance of BB built up. If the store used strips to test your water I wouldn't rely on the test results since strips are known to be inaccurate plus if your ammonia had been at 4.9 I don't think you'd have a live fish. This is one reason it is important to have your own liquid test kit. If your Ph is around 6 your tank may not be holding a cycle because a low Ph can cause cycle problems. In dealing with my VT who has fin rot, I am doing daily 50%+ water changes for a week now, I added Aq salt the 1st day as I saw some fuzziness in a spot or two, after that I didn't add Aq salt until yesterday a week later. He still has some black edges but has not been losing any fin, he's very active & still eats like a pig. I'd really like to see a pic of your boy if at all possible. It really sounds like there's something other than fin rot going on.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:51 AM   #8 
RillC

I'm at school right now so I'll post a picture when I get home in a few hours.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:50 PM   #9 
Silverfang

I saw the boy in question a week ago, it definitely appeared to be rot.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:33 PM   #10 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfang View Post
I saw the boy in question a week ago, it definitely appeared to be rot.
My concern is that it has now progressed to something more serious as can happen with fin rot when it won't heal up. There is a strain, if I'm not mistaken, that is very difficult to get rid of.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote