Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-11-2013, 09:29 PM   #91 
RillC

I'm not sure how well that would work. They tend to ignore anything that ends up in the water for any length of time and the pellets tend to swell a bit when soaked. Ramesses is EXTREMELY picky over the size of his food. If it is a touch too big for his liking, he'll just spit it out and ignore it.
RillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:28 PM   #92 
Sakura8

Okay, it's better that he eat a few pellets a day and get the medication via the water then. I would treat with the Metroplex for at least another three days, if possible.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:48 PM   #93 
RillC

Well, the Metroplex had absolutely no effect. He's looking even worse today. I was out of town again for the weekend, but had someone looking after them. He looks like a different colored fish with the way his scales are sticking off. He spends his time breathing hard at the top corner of the tank. I'm not sure how much longer he can go. It's been a very long time.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:34 AM   #94 
Sakura8

I'm so sorry, RillC. It sounds like he has a much more serious internal issue than can be treated at this time. You've done an amazing job with him and I doubt he would have come so far without your care.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:13 AM   #95 
sunlight

wow i tried to read all pages and you guys did meaning job . So sorry for Ramesses. How about Psusennes is he going to survive?
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:37 PM   #96 
sunlight

so sorry just saw my post, i meant you dedicate so much time and afford to save Ramesses and Psusennes. It just amaze me how much people really care.

Last edited by sunlight; 05-21-2013 at 02:41 PM.
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:42 PM   #97 
RillC

Thanks for the comment sunlight. They're my first fish and I love them a lot. Ramesses will keep getting epsom salt every day to keep him as comfortable as possible. He was my first boy, but he looks to be nearing his time.

Psusennes is still a little listless at times and his fin is taking its time about starting to grow back, but he is very eager and active at mealtimes so I think he's going to be okay. I'm going to keep a close eye on him though until the fin grows back just in case he needs another dose of something. They've been good company for me the last couple of years so they should get the best care I can give.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:26 PM   #98 
ANHEL123

just want to make sure you know to rinse/swish the filter media once a week in tank water or dechlorinated water. If the cartridge becomes too old or starts to fall apart, put a new cartridge in the filter but keep the old one behind it for a week and monitor for ammonia spikes.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:01 PM   #99 
RillC

Unhappy

RIP Ramesses

He passed this morning. I found him lying on his side, not breathing, when I woke up. I have him in a box in the freezer until I can get to the place where I am going to bury him. I know a lot of people flush them, but I just couldn't bring myself to do that to him. It's going to be very strange here without him. Psusennes is doing fairly well, munching everything in sight, but still a bit lazy. He will be in the hospital tank until I see significant new growth.

I know many will not be surprised, but I did go look at bettas today. One young crowntail was doing his best to get my attention and is now on hold while I think about things and get the tank cleaned thoroughly. He is a double ray crowntail like Ramesses was, but unlike another crowntail boy at the store who was the exact same color, he is a metallic so the color is quite different. He followed my finger and was very active so I have a lot to think about, some of it being happy thoughts at least. When Ramesses flared, he came within a few degrees of 180 so he was a super delta crowntail and a very special little boy. Here are a couple of pictures of him taken during his first 6 months at home. This was before I got the 5.5 gallon divided tank for my boys.
Attached Images

Last edited by RillC; 05-23-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:17 PM   #100 
ANHEL123

sorry for your loss :(
Do you need any tips on disinfection instructions? Since he really had something going on you need more than just hot water.

I am glad you going to give home to another betta. Make sure they change his water in the store while he is waiting for you. I had bad experience once. I saw beautiful betta at the store which was i think one of the 50 that they have in the store. I needed betta for someone else , not for myself. So i needed 2-3 weeks .. He was beautiful and look healthy. When i was back in 3 wks he was there but i could not buy him. He looked very sick, which absolutely broke my heart but i could not get him , since betta was for my friend:( So make sure they take care of him and change his water.
Can't wait on new boy pictures, good luck:)
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote