Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-23-2013, 10:59 PM   #101 
RillC

Thanks anhel. I have instructions on both mild bleach solutions and vinegar solutions and how much rinsing is needed to make sure it will be safe. The boy I was looking at today had his water changed yesterday. It's a good store and one of the workers there is also breeding bettas so she keeps an eye on their condition. She was also going to get the new shipment out of those horrid tiny bags when I left so I can have a look at the rest of them tomorrow. That little metallic boy seems very determined for me to be his person though so any new ones have stiff competition.
RillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:44 PM   #102 
ANHEL123

can't wait for the picture.
And sorry i know you already have all instructions on disinfection but i really love one link that have a lot of tips on disinfection, so may be you will find something helpful. I am going to post the link for you:)
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?p=2036738
Be careful with
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:07 PM   #103 
RillC

It's a good resource. I would also like to add a piece of advice I was given. After the final rinse, add a large dose of water conditioner and fill the tank. This will help to neutralize any remaining trace of chlorine. Then empty the tank and prepare for the next fishy. I have the new boy acclimating now. I used enough water conditioner for a 5 gallon tank on the 1/2 gallon hospital tank so that should make it safe for this little boy. He is so tiny and a bit skinny, but he was so determined to have me take him home. I'll post the link to the picture thread once I have him settled in.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:17 PM   #104 
RillC

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....69#post2139169

Here is the thread for the pictures of the new boy.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:25 PM   #105 
colouratura

So sorry to hear about your loss. I've read through the 11 pages and you are wonderful to have put so much effort to try and save him. You certainly did your best.

Congrats though on making the choice to bring a new betta boy into your life. He is a very lucky fishy. He did right in 'choosing you'. ;)
colouratura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:08 AM   #106 
ANHEL123

Quote:
Originally Posted by RillC View Post
It's a good resource. I would also like to add a piece of advice I was given. After the final rinse, add a large dose of water conditioner and fill the tank. This will help to neutralize any remaining trace of chlorine. Then empty the tank and prepare for the next fishy. I have the new boy acclimating now. I used enough water conditioner for a 5 gallon tank on the 1/2 gallon hospital tank so that should make it safe for this little boy. He is so tiny and a bit skinny, but he was so determined to have me take him home. I'll post the link to the picture thread once I have him settled in.
Your new guy is gorgeous and thank you for the advice i actually posted it to that link about disinfection. I am going to keep the link so i can give it to the people who needs those instruction:)
Old 05-29-2013, 11:16 AM   #107 
RillC

Exclamation

Darn it!!!!!! I think I missed something with Psusennes. He's been listless for a while and I've been waiting for the fin to grow back, but there's been a tuck near his body with nothing growing back. I just got a good look at him in natural light and saw some thing I had missed. Nearly that entire fin, in an arc that does go into his body, is a much darker color than normal. I think he may not have been clear of the fin rot after all and it may be in his body now. He's been through 2 rounds of Maracyn 2 and a round of API Fungus Cure. I am out of Maracyn 2, but I have Kanaplex, Metroplex, and some of the Fungus Cure. Please help! I'll do whatever I can to help my poor boy. What medicine should I use?
Old 05-29-2013, 06:24 PM   #108 
Silverfang

Bump in case anyone can help my friend.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:09 PM   #109 
ANHEL123

Not sure if Sakura will see your post and help you,since she is not on the forum any more. But she will receive e mail confirmation since she was helping you already,so may be she will come and help.
But i was thinking that you treated him with so many medications that he might be resistant to it.
I don't remember if you was using aquarium salt. I would use it again. Even if you did you can use it again .If it been more than days that he was on the salt treatment you can use it again.
I would use higher dose of aq salt 3tsp/gall with daily water changes. I don't remember if he was in the hospital tank. If he is you can do daily 100% water changes with pre dissolved , make sure you shake it well until there is not crystals left and acclimate him slowly. See if it would help.
If you have him in cycled tank then you can do 50% daily water changes, of course adding salt every change.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:17 PM   #110 
ANHEL123

Kanaplex is good medication if you don't want to try salt. But i think too much medications as bad as no medications at all.
Kanaplex is a blended kanamycin based medication that safely and effectively treats several fungal, and bacterial fish diseases (dropsy, popeye, fin/tail rot, septicemica). Because it is absorbed by fish it is useful in treating internal infections in those situations where food is refused.