Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-29-2013, 10:15 PM   #111 
RillC

I've been using aq salt on a regular dosage, but it doesn't do much. It does have him a bit more active, but that's not enough. I think I will start a course of Kanaplex on the next water change. I just hope it isn't too late to reverse this. It has been a while since he was on anything so at least it's not a mass of medicine all at once.
RillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:13 AM   #112 
ANHEL123

You mean regular dosage that the box instructions recommending ? Because the box instructions not therapeutic dosage at all.
The therapeutic dosage is 1tsp/gall up to 3tsp/gall.
Let us know how he doing.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:09 AM   #113 
RillC

I did mean the regular therapeutic dosage of 1 tsp/gallon. He got his dose of Kanaplex last night, but it's a bit too soon to tell really. He has been a bit more active with the salt in there, but at least he still has a good appetite.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:11 PM   #114 
sunlight

bump
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:12 PM   #115 
ANHEL123

If you started him on Kanaplex then of course finish it. And i would really recommend when you finish the medications and you think he is not completely back to normal start him on 3tsp/gall of the aquarium salt for minimum of 10 days. Salt will help balance his electrolyte level and encourage the production of slime coat,which will in turn help protect him from infection.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:20 PM   #116 
RillC

He is getting the last dose of Kanaplex tonight. I may give him an extra one though. He is showing more growth of the fin again, but he is still highly discolored in the anal fin and body. He swims a bit stiffly, with the base of his tail as the highest part of him and his head down. He is a bit slow to rise, but still eats near his usual amount.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:46 AM   #117 
RillC

I had a nice surprise this morning. Psusennes was hanging out at the top of the tank instead of the bottom. He's also swimming a lot closer to level and his head isn't down as much. He is having trouble making tight turns and his tail seems very stiff, but I think a lot of that comes from the location of the infection at the base of the anal fin. Still, any improvement is good right now. I think I will be giving him one extra dose of Kanaplex to try and get rid of any stubborn traces of infection before going to the high dose aq salt. Given how persistent this case of fin rot has been, I may have to permanently restrict him to the hospital tank. It's been over 2 months of fighting this with recurrences and I really don't want to risk Menkaure by eventually having the pair in the same divided tank.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:49 PM   #118 
ANHEL123

I was also thinking to offer to treat him with extra dose of the Kanaplex. If it helping then i would treat longer. I remember i saw one thread someone recommended that you can treat longer with Kanaplex. I am not sure how much longer. I will try to find out how much longer.
Sorry i forgot how big is his hospital tank? I don't see anything bad in keeping him in the smaller tank since he has so many issues and it will be easier for you to monitor his health, so i think it good idea .
Also i think that the Kanaplex is his last resort because i think when fish been medicated by so many different medications that the treatments have shortened its life or the parasites/bacterium have built up a resistance to the products you are using. That's why a lot of people prefer treating chronic illnesses with aquarium salt, IAL, and 84* degree water. It's a gentle enough treatment to use over and over and over again for years without causing internal organ damage and the high temp kills anything the salt misses.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:07 PM   #119 
RillC

I don't have access to IAL right now and it would be very difficult to keep him at 84 degrees unless we have a super hot summer. The hospital tank is a 1/2 gallon so it is too small for a heater. The main bad thing about having him in there, other than it being a bit on the cooler side, is that it does require the daily 100% water change. Considering his condition though, that level of water change is not a bad thing to keep him in fresh clean water every day. It also means he doesn't have to rise very far to reach the surface.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:27 PM   #120 
ANHEL123

well you can keep him in that hospital tank as long as you want. I had one of the betta once at work in 1/2 gall for pretty long time. But if you live in the cold climate you not going to able to heat it, so may be when you can you can upgrade it to bigger one. You can successfully heat the one or 2 gall tank. The place where i live now pretty worm now in the summer so i took all heater out from my tank. Even though the temperature fluctuate it fine because it gradual and it worm.
I did e mail Sakura about medications and her answer was:
'' You can treat with Kanaplex for up to 2 courses, so that would be the recommended dose on the box and then a full course after that. You can probably treat up to 3 courses if absolutely necessary.''