Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-25-2013, 02:38 PM   #11 
RillC

Okay, let's try some pictures. The first 2 are not long after it started and the last 3 and from today. I'm going to clean the bottom again when I do the water change today. Don't mind the split dorsal fin. I'm not sure how he managed to tear it, but there are no signs of any further issue there. He doesn't get much in the way of plants because he tears his fins on just about anything other than the one he has. The glare from the flash alters the color somewhat but the edges are red.
Attached Images

Last edited by RillC; 03-25-2013 at 02:42 PM.
RillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:38 PM   #12 
Sakura8

Hi RillC. Silverfang asked me to take a look at this.

AQ salt isn't harmful for fin rot, really. What it does is encourage the production of slime coat so that the fish can naturally shed the bacteria himself. In addition, some bacteria can be killed by the salt. For mild fin rot cases, salt can be very beneficial.

But since salt isn't doing the trick right now, I would recommend moving up to a medication. The infection he's got going is probably a gram negative bacteria so I'd suggest either API Triple Sulfa or Mardel Maracyn Two. Don't use Triple Sulfa if you are allergic to sulfa drugs. Also, if you use Maracyn Two, be sure it hasn't expired yet as it becomes very toxic. It is also less effective if you have a high pH, over 7.0.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:04 PM   #13 
Silverfang

I never know what to suggest for meds. Thanks Sakura. Luckily I have Maracyn2 on hand, as well as erithromyacin and triple sulfa.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:07 AM   #14 
Sakura8

You're welcome. Kanaplex will also help but I think either of the first two meds should be tried first.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:33 PM   #15 
RillC

Thanks for the advice Sakura. Silverfang said that the Maracyn2 she has expires this month so I'm wondering if it is still safe to use or should I work with one of the other options? I have no idea if I would be allergic to the triple sulfa. Psusennes won't be happy about having to go in the colder 1/2 gallon for a while, but I'll keep it in the warmest spot possible. Ah well, back to daily 100% changes for a while in there. With regard to the salt left in the 5.5 gallon: would it be okay to work it out over the course of my regular weekly changes or should I get it out quicker? I think the concentration now would be at about 2 teaspoons maximum for the 5.5 gallons since I didn't replace the salt on half of the water changes. According to the fish store water test, the pH was around 6 so the Maracyn2 should work properly, right?
Old 03-26-2013, 05:01 PM   #16 
Sakura8

You can probably just do a 100% change to get the salt out without harming or shocking him.

The Maracyn should be okay but just to be on the safe side, monitor Psusennes carefully for any signs of distress and get a new batch if he reacts badly.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:24 PM   #17 
RillC

He is still in the main tank yet, so I was asking about the salt mainly for Ramesses who will still be in there once Psusennes has been moved to the treatment tank. I've been told that a filtered tank shouldn't have 100% done all at once for the sake of the beneficial bacteria population and maintaining good water chemistry. I was planning to do a couple of 30% or so changes this week. Will that be enough when combined with next week's usual 30-50% change?

Psusennes will be getting daily 100% once he's in quarantine, but I want him to have the nice warm tank until I get the medicine to start his treatment. Ramesses shows no hint of this fin rot.

Last edited by RillC; 03-26-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:15 PM   #18 
Sakura8

Ah, I didn't realize he was still in his main, cycled tank. Yes, in that case, phase out the salt with several back-to-back water changes. That will be fine and it won't harm Ramesses at all.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:22 PM   #19 
RillC

Okay, thanks! Silverfang is going to let me borrow her medicine supply to get the treatment started tomorrow. At least he still has a healthy appetite so he can keep his strength up.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:45 PM   #20 
RillC

Okay, I have the Maracyn2 now. It says add the contents of 2 packets per 10 gallons of water. I don't think I have anything to fit that much and Silverfang said that one batch of this isn't any good after 24 hours so how should I arrange this for treatment in a 1/2 gallon quarantine tank? First time using anything other than water conditioner and a bit of aq salt.